6 SPEED regearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2TALL1

Reaction score
Howdy all
New guy to these forums.
I have been reading on here for the last few days and still come up stumped on this question.
I have an 06 with a 6 speed. I'm wondering if I need to go to 4:10's or can I get away with 3:73's
I will be running 245 75 R16's
Stock gears are 3:55's
If 3:73's would work then I can just use the axles out of my 06 donor automatic.
Any help with this dilemma would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Use the ones you have with the 3.73s that will help some
Buddy had a 6 speed running 265-75-16s said he didn;t have to regear, he finally listen to common sense and went 4.10s and was amazed at the difference
But with the 245-75-16s for you the 3.73s will help

and it is not a dilemma, its an opportunity
what lift are you running and how much ?

2TALL1

Reaction score
So I bought the donor vehicle strictly for the axles and heated leather seats.
I figured It would be easier to have them setup I.E. gears and lockers and then swap them in.
I was planning on 4:10's with DTT's but if I could save a little money and just buy lockers then win win.
But of coarse putting lockers on a used set of gears with 140,000 miles is kind of sketchy.
Your thoughts?

I'm going to be running the
927 948 setup with 1/4" spacer and 3/8 clevis, Jba uca, rear iso...ect...ect
Just collecting parts to do the whole build at 1 time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I bought the donor vehicle strictly for the axles and heated leather seats.
I figured It would be easier to have them setup I.E. gears and lockers and then swap them in.
I was planning on 4:10's with DTT's but if I could save a little money and just buy lockers then win win.
But of coarse putting lockers on a used set of gears with 140,000 miles is kind of sketchy.
Your thoughts?

I'm going to be running the
927 948 setup with 1/4" spacer and 3/8 clevis, Jba uca, rear iso...ect...ect
Just collecting parts to do the whole build at 1 time.
What size tires?
Just the 245-75-16s ?
If so no need to go 1/4 inch spacer / 3/8 clevis etc
2.5 inch lift with pounded over pinch welds is plenty with correct wheel width/ backspacing

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
here is 2.5 inches of lift and 265-70-16s ( same height as 245-75-16s ) with 2 hockey pucks per side in the rear for bumpstops
You must be registered for see images attach

2TALL1

Reaction score
Yes 245-75-16
On factory kj renegade wheels
Your reasoning for not using the 1/4 plate and 3/8 clevis?
I just figured get the max I can with the lift that's available.
I obviously missed out on all the cool lifts that were once offered. unless you want to get rid of one of your adjustable coil overs...lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes 245-75-16
On factory kj renegade wheels
Your reasoning for not using the 1/4 plate and 3/8 clevis?
I just figured get the max I can with the lift that's available.
I obviously missed out on all the cool lifts that were once offered. unless you want to get rid of one of your adjustable coil overs...lol
IF you are using JBA UCAs then you can go higher
but also no matter what you have more wear and tear on the CVs etc
My 04 at over 4 inches of lift, is nice, fun, questions at every gas station etc , but for DD duties and overall drivability, I built the 03 pictured above with 2.5 inches of lift after running the 04 for over 200,000 miles lifted

2TALL1

Reaction score
I see I kind of figured that was your reasoning.
I haven't read on here with the lift that I'm purposing that you get any CV binding. or did I miss that....
It's pretty much done with it's daily driving duties. I bought it in 2010 with 40,000 on it and now it's at 260,000
I've moved out of the big city to a small town in the mountains of eastern Oregon and it's just going to be the toy from now on.
By the way love that green you don't see those very often!

What's your thought on the Iron Rock rear adjustable control arms?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey neighbor, (I'm in western idaho) I've got the same lift you're looking at doing with all the extras you mentioned. Running 245/75 on Moabs. Rides great, but I'll be moving up to 265 70 16 when i get tires. I would like to regear to 4:10 but it will be a while. This is also not my daily driver or road trip vehicle. i I just got the iron rock upper control arm kit. Looks real nice, but it's not installed yet.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I see I kind of figured that was your reasoning.
I haven't read on here with the lift that I'm purposing that you get any CV binding. or did I miss that....
It's pretty much done with it's daily driving duties. I bought it in 2010 with 40,000 on it and now it's at 260,000
I've moved out of the big city to a small town in the mountains of eastern Oregon and it's just going to be the toy from now on.
By the way love that green you don't see those very often!

What's your thought on the Iron Rock rear adjustable control arms?
Iron Rock upper or lower ?
Although adjustable both need to be adjusted to the same specs ( length ) as stock , either one, the upper tri link or the LCAs
I run Core 4X4 adjustable lowers on the 03 ( installed a few months ago ) and running the adjustable bolt on JeepinByAls upper in the rear

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sweet any issues with the lift so far?
Where did you get your rear ISO's at?
OME are good springs, I bought my 04 new and installed full OME before it had 20,000 miles on it
Ran them to over 119,000 miles and sold them to a friend , still got over 2.25 inches out of them even with a AEB up front the whole time

2TALL1

Reaction score
These are the ones I have been looking at.
Kj rear adjustable control arm set.

The suspension is totally wore out on my 06 so I'm planning on complete rebuild of everything.
Thinking these might be a better way to go instead of stock.
I'm finding I came late to this party and want to pick up what good parts are still available.
And just throwing it out there anyone who has a set of the JBA adjustable coil overs I'm more than interested.

Attachments

• RearSet_600x527.jpg
    RearSet_600x527.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 4

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an '07 with the 6 speed on 31's.
I had 4.10 gears but never installed them.
I used it as my daily. I think you can get away with the 3.73s if you wanted to. 4.10s obviously make more sense.
The benefit of the 6 speed was that I chose the gear. It was never searching for the right gear all confused as the automatic would do.
It was not a racecar, but it never was. I never had issues keeping up with traffic or anything.

Reaction score
Iron Rock upper or lower ?
Although adjustable both need to be adjusted to the same specs ( length ) as stock , either one, the upper tri link or the LCAs
I run Core 4X4 adjustable lowers on the 03 ( installed a few months ago ) and running the adjustable bolt on JeepinByAls upper in the rear
The Core 4x4 Lower Arms, which model is right one on their website @tommudd
For the WK ?

Latest posts

Members online