5W20 Oil In 3.7Liter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the specs for the 3.7Liter in the KK and the oil recomended was 5W20 weight.

The KJ 3.7 recomends 5W30 in the owners manual.

What gives? Any thoughts on this as I'm curious?

Thanks,
Dave

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, 5W-20, and has been since the start of the 2007 model year. I have been using 5W-20 since the first oil change I did on mine as I already knew 5W-20 was better for it and my HEMI requires 5W-20 so I have cases and cases of it. I posted this a couple weeks ago for jeepjeepster I think it was, but I didn't see the thread off hand.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the repost.....delete it

Dave

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a lot of cars have a choice. My beretta manual says 5w30 or 10w30. I recomment purchasing a thicker oil if your running synthetic because 5w30 synthetic is thinner then regular 5w30.

cowpie1

Reaction score
_UnLiMiTeD_ said:
a lot of cars have a choice. My beretta manual says 5w30 or 10w30. I recomment purchasing a thicker oil if your running synthetic because 5w30 synthetic is thinner then regular 5w30.

Not thinner, just that it has uniform molecules that makes it better. API certifications specify the requirements on a viscocity. If it was thinner it would have a 0w30 rating.

Once you study the testing data, synthetics are the preferred way to go. The only ones I would consider are the top line of Mobil 1 or Amsoil (best).

Okay let the sparks fly on that statement! lol3.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
cowpie1 said:
_UnLiMiTeD_ said:

Not thinner, just that it has uniform molecules that makes it better. API certifications specify the requirements on a viscocity. If it was thinner it would have a 0w30 rating.

Once you study the testing data, synthetics are the preferred way to go. The only ones I would consider are the top line of Mobil 1 or Amsoil (best).

Okay let the sparks fly on that statement! lol3.gif

I don't think you should need a "flame suit" but you might start a "which brand of oil is best" debate. What you said about the oil weights and synthetic is true........In my experience I have used many different name brands in the weights recommended in the owners manuals, and never trashed an engine. Changing it along with the filter (another debate) is just as important. The brand preference thing is always debatable as every manufacturer will tell you there's is the best.

I started this thread out as an "oil weight" question not realizing it was a re-post. I expected it to be deleted, but it is still going and now a little OT - but that's ok by me at this point.

Dave