4x4 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silver03

Reaction score
4 part time and 4 high don't work. My 4 low does though. I have found things saying that I need to replace the switch position sensor on top of transfer case. Does this sound right? Anyone else have the same problem?

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 part time and 4 high don't work. My 4 low does though. I have found things saying that I need to replace the switch position sensor on top of transfer case. Does this sound right? Anyone else have the same problem?

The switch position sensor has nothing to do with this. Mine is out of order but I can engage Part Time, Full Time en 4lo w/o problem.

Can you engage the 4lo?

justjeeps

Reaction score

Hey Silver - Never had this issue but you may try cleaning the connector with some contact cleaner / inside. Perhaps have a good look at the wires for any breaks before you replace the switch. Just a note I would check with jeep for oem part on that one.

maybe change the transfer case oil as well.

cheers

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They don't work or you don't get the light on the dash saying they're working?

If it's the light on the dash, then you need to replace the sensor. If it's anything else, you need to look underneath and see if the cable's connected and if the lever moves freely as it should. If it is connected and the lever moves freely, then you need to investigate further.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

First things first
Tell us how you came to the conclusion that 4 Part Time and 4 High don't work but 4 Low does
How did you check that?
Does it not want to move at all in 4PT and 4 High or ??
Are you sure its going into those two ?
Whats it do in 4 Low ?
When did it start or has it been an ongoing issue?

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a plastic bushing on the linkage on the side of the tcase it's usually the culprit when 4hi won't engage. Or won't stay engaged its about 2 bucks

If it's actually working and the indicator doesn't come on, then it's probably the sensor

Last edited: