4x2 vin with 4x4 selector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kcbell73

Reaction score
I’m a total noob. This is my daughters 03 Jeep Liberty KJ 4x2. But I’m confused (as was she) by the fact that I just saw in the vin decoder that her Jeep is a 4x2 but there is what appears to be a 4wd selector. So is this something a previous owner did after market? Or is it a fluke?
My daughter wanted a 4x4 and is new to vehicles. I have a Chevy Hhr and I do all my own mechanic work but that’s on MY car which I know like the back of my hand. I’ve recently changed the timing chain and rebuilt the front suspension on my car among other things. And I’m getting ready to work on her Jeep so I’m not a total moron. Just confused.
I do see there’s no front drive shaft. But I thought that was done to eliminate a problem not because there never was a front drive shaft.

Kcbell73

Reaction score
Does it have a 4x4 badge?

Duh. Yes. It does. I was thrown off by the vin decoder saying it is 4x2 drive when obviously it’s a 4x4. Or it will be when we get the front drive shaft replaced and confirm everything is operational.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So it does have a front diff then I assume ?
Front driveshaft came with it or you do not have one at all ?
There are different length ones depending on year, transmission etc
LOL on the 4x4 badging , seen a Camry the other day with 4X4 on both front doors

Kcbell73

Reaction score
The KJ is probably one of the easiest vehicles Ive ever worked on. Things can be a little tight in the engine bay.
I had to change the alternator a few months ago. Had it done in minutes. I was surprised at how easy it was.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL on the 4x4 badging , seen a Camry the other day with 4X4 on both front doors
Isn't that called a rav4?

Kcbell73

Reaction score

differential and transfer case are there. Just no drive shaft. Like I said, I figure there was a problem and the previous owner removed it. It was sold to my daughter without it.

The badge? Lol. Didn’t I say I was a noob with jeep?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't that called a rav4?
NO, I own an older Rav 4 over in Tanzania , and this was no Rav4 . And the one we have goes great, had it on roads most of these kids would look at and turn around
4 door Camry with light bar screwed to the roof and the 4x4 decals on the doors ;)

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO, I own an older Rav 4 over in Tanzania , and this was no Rav4 . And the one we have goes great, had it on roads most of these kids would look at and turn around
4 door Camry with light bar screwed to the roof and the 4x4 decals on the doors ;)
I was just funnily, that Camry sounds silly.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has me thinking maybe the Jeep was a 4x2 that someone tried to swap in a 4x4. They may have given up on it before they finished. Being an ‘03 there is still a chance it could work. In later years the computer would have a fit if the equipment didn’t match the programming.

Kcbell73

Reaction score
Has me thinking maybe the Jeep was a 4x2 that someone tried to swap in a 4x4. They may have given up on it before they finished. Being an ‘03 there is still a chance it could work. In later years the computer would have a fit if the equipment didn’t match the programming.
I had that thought as well, but have decided that the vin code must be wrong. There is a 4x4 badge and these parts don’t appear to be aftermarket. Perhsps the 4x4 was done in production as an option?

Latest posts