4WD Not Engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would cause my 4WD not to engage (Full or Part) unless I briefly drive in reverse first?

I'm taking it in for an inspection next week to the dealership, and I told them about this issue, but I'd like to point them in some direction first.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe some misalignment.

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

2003KJ

Reaction score
are you trying to engage while sitting still? If you are, it will not go in untill you move the vehicle.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it further.

Could tire pressure be an issue?

My tires are all 29.5 psi. At what pressure does the tire pressure "warning" light come on the dash?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jjo said:

My tires are all 29.5 psi. At what pressure does the tire pressure "warning" light come on the dash?

Just based on experience, mine seemed to have went off at 27.5 psi.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having a similar problem with mine - it will go in to 4HI but not neutral or 4LO. I am trying to shift per the owners manual (the same way I have always shifted it) but it just won't go. I have an appointment next tuesday to get it checked, and since its a powertrain issue they are $@#^& well going to fix it under warranty since I am still under on the milage. I looked at the diagrams that are posted above in my copy fo the service manual and it talks about having the t-case in neutral to remove the cable at the t-case, but since I can't get mine into neutral I'll just let the techs do it.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jjo said:

I have EVIC and mine starts flashing at all different times and seems to go into the alert mode if any one tire is mor than about 1.5 PSI below any other..........but not always. :-& I have yet to really figure it out and the salesman cnat either as he told me it was to go off at 26 PSI. At one point, on a very cold day I had all four at 29 PSI and only one was flashing as though it were alarming. Go figure!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I complained about a month ago that mine was really stiff (the lever). But recently it's loosened up... with all the use! It was engages tho'.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's what I've determined. And if this is the case, then I feel kinda stupid bringing it up in the first place...

If I am standing still, in drive, foot on the brake, and shift it into either 4WD full or part time, it won't engage.

In the same scenario, but I put it in 4WD while in neutral then shift into drive, it engages.

While driving and I shift into 4WD, it engages.

Is this normal conditions for a Liberty? I don't seem to remember my '00 Cherokee (w/Command Trac) behaving this way.

FYI, I tested this on an icy slope.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i've shifted into 4-Hi on a complete stop w/ my foot on the brake no problem, as is w/o on the brake while moving in d, or if im in p, then i can shift into 4-hi. only time i have trouble is if the wheels are turned, then the shift knob wont pull up.

4-lo is a bit different, you have to pull it fast through neutral...
and suggestively moving at like 2-3 mph..

have it checked out just to be on the safe side, but i can see what they are gonna say...

"we cannot recreate the problem"

woo hoo...

merry xmas!

sini

Reaction score
jjo said:
Ok, here's what I've determined. And if this is the case, then I feel kinda stupid bringing it up in the first place...

If I am standing still, in drive, foot on the brake, and shift it into either 4WD full or part time, it won't engage.

In the same scenario, but I put it in 4WD while in neutral then shift into drive, it engages.

While driving and I shift into 4WD, it engages.

Is this normal conditions for a Liberty? I don't seem to remember my '00 Cherokee (w/Command Trac) behaving this way.

FYI, I tested this on an icy slope.

jjo that's normal KJ behaviour... you should be moving when changing thru the transfer case, it's shift on the fly.

only 4lo should be engaged while you are just moving (below 2-3 mph)... all other modes should be able to be changed during normal operating speeds.

if you must be stationary then it is suggested you change into neutral, change the transfer case & then change back into drive.

hope this helps. its does sometimes work not following those steps... but since following those suggestions i haven't had not one problem with my transfer case.

Latest posts

Members online