42RLE Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BreeOge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, I took my libby out for a drive, and on the way to the woods "Thank god" I hit a bump, when i hit the bump, the jeep sounded like it went into neutral, i let off the gas, hit it again and it took off, I would think transmission slipping, HOWEVER, I can shift to 1,2,D,N,R "Kinda" it will not go into park at all, when it shows park its in reverse, when it shows neutral it Drives, but will not shift gears, like its in 2nd, and then if I go to 2, or 1, its the same as in drive. I checked the linkage under the car, and its still connected, even moved the shifter and the linkage moves. It does however feel that when I try to put it in park something is binding almost. Now that I have got it home and turned it off, since it will not go into park, I can not start it. :/ Anyone have any Idea's on where I should start.

*Edit, Thought I would add, it has 0 codes thrown.

Thank you

Last edited:

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, I took my libby out for a drive, and on the way to the woods "Thank god" I hit a bump, when i hit the bump, the jeep sounded like it went into neutral, i let off the gas, hit it again and it took off, I would think transmission slipping, HOWEVER, I can shift to 1,2,D,N,R "Kinda" it will not go into park at all, when it shows park its in reverse, when it shows neutral it Drives, but will not shift gears, like its in 2nd, and then if I go to 2, or 1, its the same as in drive. I checked the linkage under the car, and its still connected, even moved the shifter and the linkage moves. It does however feel that when I try to put it in park something is binding almost. Now that I have got it home and turned it off, since it will not go into park, I can not start it. :/ Anyone have any Idea's on where I should start.

*Edit, Thought I would add, it has 0 codes thrown.

Thank you
Hmm -

shift cable maybe?

you can lift the bezel around the gear selector knob. It just pops up from 4 corners. To the right of the shift you should see a cable attached to a pin on the shifter. Parking brake on and or wheels blocked, the cable can be released from the pin. Does it pull / push easily? Each ‘stop’ is the next ‘gear’

i’ve no idea r/n what the other end looks like. Had mine apart when i pulled the dash for the heater core a few weeks ago.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
42RLE shift cable adjustments:
You must be registered for see images attach

BreeOge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
42RLE shift cable adjustments:
You must be registered for see images attach

I hope that is all it is TC, But it baffles me on why it just happened out of the blue. I could understand if I was messing with something with the cable, and it was off. but driving down the road and it does it, kinda scares me a little. Worst case, I have to rebuild transmission, best case, like you said its just the cable.. praying for best case. Pleeeease be the best case lol..

BreeOge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love how it says and I quote "(3) Loosen the shift cable adjustment screw (FIG. 169)" Yet, does not show where the screw is even on the figure.. FYI, it should be also said, that Screw is facing passenger side, and is below where it connects to the shifter.

Last edited:

BreeOge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, that was the issue, how it just randomly got out of spec i have not a clue, but hey Free fix is always a good fix.. or great as I see it..

Latest posts

Members online