42RLE Transmission Filter Debris

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StrayKatJJL

Reaction score
2006 Liberty 4X4 42RLE

I just changed my filter for the first time since owning the jeep 10 years now - bought it used. I found a pan with a drain plug on Amazon and installed it to make future routine changed less messy. I always did the trans flush before. I didn't notice any driving issues with it before I did this filter change but have enclosed an image of what I found in the filter. The material is soft rubber and was hoping someone could identify it or let me know the seriousness of it. The magnet was typical i think for probably never having been cleaned before. The Jeep is driving just fine since installing the new filter

Attachments

• Transmission Debris in Filter.jpg
    Transmission Debris in Filter.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Transmission change Magnet Debirs.jpg
    Transmission change Magnet Debirs.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Transmission Pan with oil change nut.jpg
    Transmission Pan with oil change nut.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 32

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure whats up with the rubber debris.
If your jeep is driving well hopefully everything will be just fine. Did you use ATF +4 fluid ?

StrayKatJJL

Reaction score
Yes - I used 5 Liter Jug of Mopar ATF + 4 - it was almost exact in what I drained out but my front was on ramps.

StrayKatJJL

Reaction score
OMG thats good news!! Since I replaced the pan I didn't really look to close at the old one. I used a LUBE LOCKER LLT-A042 when assembled it I read it was the better option then RTF for this application. It kind of makes sense since there is form of sorts to it and the softness of it .... yea that might just be it. Unless I hear of any other ideas ....

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that was my first thought, just having opened up mine last Saturday. Gasket material, aka RTV sealer.
dc

I just ordered a new Mopar pan. I should have looked for a pan like that, with a drain. I had thought of cutting a drain into it, but, since I was getting a new one ...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also bought a pan with a drain plug last time I serviced mine. Also has a bung welded in it for a temp probe.

StrayKatJJL

Reaction score
If this helps anyone - I got all three items on Amazon // Everything fit like a glove. The #2 driver side bolt is unique and must use a sealant.
Additionally -- be sure to remove the gasket from the transmission where the filter fits in ! I almost missed that. The new filter comes with a new one.
Dorman 265-818 Automatic Transmission Oil Pan for Select Models $35.95
Lube Locker LLT-A042 Lubelocker gasket $26.95 This gasket is reusable
Mopar ATF + 4 5 liter $31.95
Filter $6 Autozone - I tossed the paper gasket for the Lubelocker one
Permatex Thread Sealant $3.50 Autozone

Latest posts

Members online