4 cyl GAS KJ ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepmedic

Reaction score
Any one have or know about the 4 cyl GAS KJs?

Are the engines ok?

How is power compared to the 6 (much less I suppose)?

Gas milage?

Same aftermarket ? (lift, skids...)

My dad is looking @ one and just looking for info.

Thanks !!:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I know about them is what the dealer told me when they originally got a couple in. He said they had 4:10 gears in them. Most KJ's have the 3.7L which I think you are better off with, unless you get a super deal of course.. Someone elce will have to chime in with the rest of your answers.

Dave

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know much about them
I do know this
The 4 in the TJ does OK with low low gears
problem is with a 4 in a KJ you are stuck with the lowest gears you can put ,4.10's
so bigger tires will be out
I have seen 4 ****** TJ's running 35's and 44/60 combos with 5.13 gears and walking all over the Rubicons on 33's ,now they also had Detroit lockers front and rear in the 1 I saw so that helped

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search the threads here, but gas mileage reported difference was negligible if any... so if you're looking to save $ on gas, dont bother w/ 4.

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i owned an 05 2.4l with the 6spd for about a year, and got rid of it for the 3.7 renne with 6spd. as for gas millage not much of a difference in my eyes. it was real **** when it came to any kind of incline i found my self constantly down shifting. like dave said unless your getting a killer deal i wouldn't bother. i'm much happier with the 3.7.as for accessories mine was bone stock. it didn't have tinted glass or even steering wheel controls. good luck

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 cyl YJ running on 33" tires & 4.88 gears. It's great for crawling through the woods and can drive for days before needing to stop for gas but it's miserable to try to drive at highway speeds. I wouldn't recomend buying a 4 cyl KJ no matter what the price. The KJ's frame & body weigh more than a YJ's and would likely make achieving highway speeds even more difficult if not impossible.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I have a 4 cyl YJ running on 33" tires & 4.88 gears. It's great for crawling through the woods and can drive for days before needing to stop for gas but it's miserable to try to drive at highway speeds. I wouldn't recomend buying a 4 cyl KJ no matter what the price. The KJ's frame & body weigh more than a YJ's and would likely make achieving highway speeds even more difficult if not impossible.
But the 2.4L in the KJ has much more power than the AMC 2.5L.