4.10's and 245/75

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a little about my rig.

It an 07 with full OEM skids, Frankenlift 2, JBA 4.5 Arms, ARB with Warn M8000, and duratrac load C tires.

Before the swap to 4.10's the ****** would have to down shift to make it up any sort of hill (I live outside DC). When down shifting the RPM's would go up to 3500 and stay there until I was able to top the hill. I had to drive with O\D off to insure it would stay in gear and not down shift. Now that the 4.10's are installed I'm able to cruise at 70-75 without the down shift. From the looks of it I'm back to 20mpg!!!

For those of you that say they dont need 4.10's when running 265/75 your crazy!!! I'm running a 245/75 and needed it!!!! Would I do it again???? Heck yes!!!!!! I will report back after the gears are broke in.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving my girlfriend's '06 with the 42rle transmission and my '03 with the 45rfe, I can't imagine hers with larger tires. It just doesn't have the bottom end torque my '03 does. The transmission seems geared too high.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving my girlfriend's '06 with the 42rle transmission and my '03 with the 45rfe, I can't imagine hers with larger tires. It just doesn't have the bottom end torque my '03 does. The transmission seems geared too high.

it is
the 45 has a 3 to 1 first and Reverse
the 42 is like 2.5 ,HUGE difference

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How do I know what trans my jeep has? Is it per year, or something else?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a little about my rig.

It an 07 with full OEM skids, Frankenlift 2, JBA 4.5 Arms, ARB with Warn M8000, and duratrac load C tires.

Before the swap to 4.10's the ****** would have to down shift to make it up any sort of hill (I live outside DC). When down shifting the RPM's would go up to 3500 and stay there until I was able to top the hill. I had to drive with O\D off to insure it would stay in gear and not down shift. Now that the 4.10's are installed I'm able to cruise at 70-75 without the down shift. From the looks of it I'm back to 20mpg!!!

For those of you that say they dont need 4.10's when running 265/75 your crazy!!! I'm running a 245/75 and needed it!!!! Would I do it again???? Heck yes!!!!!! I will report back after the gears are broke in.
Yep Tom and myself keep saying it but no one would listen.Those gears do make a work of difference.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to remember this if/when I get 245/75's. If it helps driveability and MPG, then it makes sense to do it. No, the MPG gain may not totally justify the cost, but that plus driveability makes a strong case :D