32's & 3" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you want to run 265/75R16's with your 3" lift? This is what you can expect.
You must be registered for see images

This pic was taken on a level garage floor. Tire is a 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratrac. Wheels are Cragar Soft 8's with 4" back spacing. And the pinch welds are beaten flat.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ now resembles that after installing the ARB & winch - going with the CRD springs on the JBA coilovers to hopefully minimize the rubbing.

Seems some KJ's don't experience the rubbing like ours do. What gives...?

Bob

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if a guy could just upgrade to CRD springs if he already had the coil overs? I didn't see it on the JBA website that a person could.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if a guy could just upgrade to CRD springs if he already had the coil overs? I didn't see it on the JBA website that a person could.

I'm sure something could be worked out
the ARB is not an issue with the regular gasser springs, but when you load the extra weight of the winch on it changes the ball game

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
32s and 4.5 inches of lift -vs- 2.5 inches of lift

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you track I usyually say 265-75-16s to make everyone happy BUT since John went with 32 comment I followed along
I never have to round up :happy175::happy175::whip::Bye:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My very first comment says 265/75 r16! Must not have been enough nit's to pick elsewhere today.

And here ya go a 32x11:50x15 is how tall?

Gee 31.7" imagine that!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My very first comment says 265/75 r16! Must not have been enough nit's to pick elsewhere today.

And here ya go a 32x11:50x15 is how tall?

Gee 31.7" imagine that!

:happy175::happy175:
Yes we need more " NITS"
MORE NITS, MORE NITS, MORE NITS,....................some have nothing more to do :whip::shrug::icon_lol:
So John, are you using the chuck of railroad tie today ??

ddemouchet

Reaction score
I want to put 255/75/17 tires on mines , which is equivalent to 32s. What lift is needed no direct answer

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to put 255/75/17 tires on mines , which is equivalent to 32s. What lift is needed no direct answer

You need 4 inches of lift and at LEAST 4.10 gearing
Now with that said if you go OME coils ( 927s/948s ) even with JBA UCAs you will have spring/ UCA contact at 3.5 inches
So for something that will not have contact you then step up to the JBA adjustable coilovers
Much cheaper to run 245-75-16s or 265-70-16s ( about 30.5 inches tall )
with 3 inches of lift . You can then still run stock UCA if you want, no spring / UCA contact , not as much loss of power needing to regear .

So now WHY do you want to run a 32 inch tall tire and are you willing to spend the money and to do it right?
( sorry spending too much time on Fakebook with the children and wanting the best lift for 100 bucks)
I've ran 265-75-16s and 4.10 with OME and JBA both so know how they work

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't like my answer evidently.......................................:icon_razz::icon_razz::happy175:

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about running a 235/85/16 with a 3inch lift?? It would be a little narrower and lighter. Would you still need to regear? Would there still be any issues with the UCAs/springs, etc?

I currently have a 3 lift and I'm running 245/75/16s. After bending the pinch welds and performing some clever surgery on the wheel wells I have an inch and a half to 2 inches of clearance front and back. After adding wheel spacers that clearance was cut to about an inch, maybe a touch less on the back side of the wells. By my thinking a 235/85 tire would be an inch bigger - a half inch wider on either side of the tire. So without the wheel spacers I would, to my thinking, have plenty of room, and with the spacers it would still fit but be a bit snug. What do you think Tom?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What about running a 235/85/16 with a 3inch lift?? It would be a little narrower and lighter. Would you still need to regear? Would there still be any issues with the UCAs/springs, etc?

I currently have a 3 lift and I'm running 245/75/16s. After bending the pinch welds and performing some clever surgery on the wheel wells I have an inch and a half to 2 inches of clearance front and back. After adding wheel spacers that clearance was cut to about an inch, maybe a touch less on the back side of the wells. By my thinking a 235/85 tire would be an inch bigger - a half inch wider on either side of the tire. So without the wheel spacers I would, to my thinking, have plenty of room, and with the spacers it would still fit but be a bit snug. What do you think Tom?

235-85-16s are still a 32 inch tall tire.
Plus they are generally a heavier since most are 10-ply
So YES you would need to regear
Still need 4 inches of lift and a regear to run 32 inch tall tires

Last edited:

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it makes a difference, but the Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires I'm running in the 245/75/16 weigh 42 pounds. The 265/75/16s weigh a more significant 48. And the 235/85/16s I would run weigh in at a lesser 46.

And would turning the overdrive off negate regearing?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if it makes a difference, but the Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires I'm running in the 245/75/16 weigh 42 pounds. The 265/75/16s weigh a more significant 48. And the 235/85/16s I would run weigh in at a lesser 46.

And would turning the overdrive off negate regearing
?
Band aid fix for it, wouldn't be good long term
You have to regear , its going to be wearing your transmission out sooner due to overheating and slippage as it tries to find the right gear etc.

Final Answer , well you already know what it is
stay with smaller tires , or MORE lift and regear