3 pending trouble codes two weeks after dead battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liaztraht

Reaction score
2011 kk with about 117k miles.

First off, two weeks ago wife left the key on, engine off with the lights on till the battery died. Got the battery charged up, and been driving fine.

Jeeps been running great. But we do code scans occasionally on our cars to see if anything may be pending.

Prior to her killing the battery, no codes, afterwards started to get p0205, p0513, and p0706 showing as gray codes in torque. No MIL/CEL.

Battery while off sits at 12.35 to 12.40 volts, charges at 13.95 to 14.05. Voltage while off seems a touch low. It triggers the under voltage I have set in torque.

Wires to the cylinder 5 injector look good. Engine runs strong, no hesitation or anything there. Haven't checked anything leading to the range sensor yet.

We use the same key that has been programed to the jeep since the day we bought it.

Only odd thing I've noticed is on occasion after first starting, if you blip the throttle in park it will hold its RPM and not exceed 3k and throttle wont respond. Put it in gear and it goes back normal operation. We don't normally rev the engine in park, so no idea how long it's been going on.

I know these are picky with low voltage. How likely is it that it's just the battery? Battery is about due for replacement anyway.

Alternator, belt and water pump were replaced within the last year, with the tensioner being replaced again last Saturday. Transmission flush last year, only 8k on new fluid and filter. Old fluid still looked good.

Edit to add: It's only been driven a few times since the battery was killed. No full warmup cycle really. Just a few 5 minute trips.

Pic is what we got from torque pro.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-155040_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-155040_Torque.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2008 KK here and have a Scangauge II. I also periodically scan for pending codes. Sometimes there are nonsense codes pending there which go away or change the next time you look. I wouldn’t be too concerned unless something is consistent enough to light the CEL. I suspect the nonsense pending codes are more likely with a low voltage tired out battery, but couldn’t say for sure. It was concerning the first time I noticed them but once I found out that they typically change or disappear, I became less worried about it. Lately I have had no pending codes at all. Newer battery the reason? Maybe. My KK just has a rich inner life.

Liaztraht

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2008 KK here and have a Scangauge II. I also periodically scan for pending codes. Sometimes there are nonsense codes pending there which go away or change the next time you look. I wouldn’t be too concerned unless something is consistent enough to light the CEL. I suspect the nonsense pending codes are more likely with a low voltage tired out battery, but couldn’t say for sure. It was concerning the first time I noticed them but once I found out that they typically change or disappear, I became less worried about it. Lately I have had no pending codes at all. Newer battery the reason? Maybe. My KK just has a rich inner life.
I am mostly leaning towards the battery/hiccup as well, because when I had slowly dying battery in a Mazda 6, I had a permanent pending code for low intake runner control voltage (the flaps that change the variable intake length.) New battery fixed that one.

Honestly, right now is the best it's run. No clunks, no hiccups, or anything. Just smooth power. Other than the newer tensioner failing and chattering.

I'll leave my wife with my car and take the jeep to get and swap the battery before work and see what happens.

Liaztraht

Reaction score
Also, your sticky with the manual links is much appreciated. Read through a few. Didn't know I could do key programing and unlock chirps without dealer tools!

Liaztraht

Reaction score
Let the jeep sit over night after a propper run yesterday. Battery down to 12.3v-12.2v. Wouldn't stabilize. The 12.4 I had was 30 minutes after a short trip.

Definitely leaning towards voltage issues.

Grabbing a new battery now, and left the jeep sitting with the cables tied together.

Liaztraht

Reaction score
Got the new battery in around noon. Also did the plugs while I was at it.

Even though the dealer said they were just replaced when we bought it at 103k, the plugs looked probably 60k old. Couple were gapped .060+! No way there was only 14k on them. Other than them being a hair rusty, and over gapped, no bad signs on them.

Never trust a dealer.

No pending codes yet, and it runs even smoother and quieter. Wouldn't be able to tell if it was running if it weren't for the rumble and "ting" of the Gibson exhaust.

All in all, if you got an odd pending code, check the battery :)

Latest posts

Members online