3.73 vs 4.10 Gearing for City Driving.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on installing Detroit True Tracks front and rear next summer. Since the diffs are going to be out anyway, I was wondering if it would be worth it to install 4.10 gearing while I'm at it. Since flat roads are almost non-existent and I usually max out at 50mph 95% of the time, would it be worth it? If they are, would getting them from a 4 cylinder KJ suffice?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ones out of a 4 cylinder work just fine
Two Bobs and John 3:17 both just bought 4.10/4 cylinder diffs and we swapped them out in my garage
As far is it worth it, IMO yes......

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ones out of a 4 cylinder work just fine
Two Bobs and John 3:17 both just bought 4.10/4 cylinder diffs and we swapped them out in my garage
As far is it worth it, IMO yes......

I'm with Tom - course, I better be or Tom and I wasted a day's work in his garage :happy175:

I'd think in Colorado the 4.10's would be even more useful thanks to the elevation and hill climbs you get to do every day. I'm in a relatively flat area but when I head to Pennsylvania and get into the hills over there I'm thankful the 4.10's are there. Doubly so when I'm towing the boat.

Keep your eyes peeled for a 4 cylinder KJ and snatch up the diffs when you see one. Don't worry too much about the mileage since you're going to tear them open to put in the DTT's anyway and can replace bearings, seals, etc when you're in there.

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on installing Detroit True Tracks front and rear next summer. Since the diffs are going to be out anyway, I was wondering if it would be worth it to install 4.10 gearing while I'm at it. Since flat roads are almost non-existent and I usually max out at 50mph 95% of the time, would it be worth it? If they are, would getting them from a 4 cylinder KJ suffice?
If you got 245/75's or bigger on then yes it will greatly help but be warned you soon will want 4.56's!!!!!!

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now, everything is stock. There is a 2005 KJ sport in a salvage yard near me. Don't know if its a 4 ****** or V6. They also have a 02 Renegade that I've been eyeing for some spare parts. I was thinking of somewhat future proofing the diffs if I decide on a lift and tires in the next two years. I'm happy that I have a vehicle that's not breaking down every year to allow me to have fun with modding.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power wise, I wouldn't mind having an extra 40 hp to make up for the altitude.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll pay to put 4.56's(meaning JBA front diff included) in your KJ with any locker(s) you want if you pay for a 6.4 VVT HEMI swap.
Hang on here... I asked for a loan & not get me even more broke! :happy175:
That must mean you still have not got your motor up to speed Yet.. !!!
I see that your dream "up to speed" plans now include somehow stuffing a $10,000 long block under the KJ hood to start with?
OMG I can see it now the only SFA 4x4 Drag Racing KJ in the world !!:icon_lol:
drive.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang on here... I asked for a loan & not get me even more broke! :happy175:
That must mean you still have not got your motor up to speed Yet.. !!!
I see that your dream "up to speed" plans now include somehow stuffing a $10,000 long block under the KJ hood to start with?
OMG I can see it now the only SFA 4x4 Drag Racing KJ in the world !!:icon_lol:
drive.gif
Well worth a shot!

Shouldn't be to long till the old girl is back on the road but sadly with another 3.7,finally got the old hag to back off suing me every 2 weeks to drain my $$$.That's $20k I'll never get back(won a judgment but will never see it),that's 2/3's of a HEMI swap!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that is good news she backed off and bad news $20k gone..
With your skills, I wonder if you could save up and magically fit a JY donor / newer Pentastar etc under the hood...hmmmm...that would liven up the KJ..

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll pay to put 4.56's(meaning JBA front diff included) in your KJ with any locker(s) you want if you pay for a 6.4 VVT HEMI swap.

Hell, why stop there lol? Go for broke and throw a Hellcat in there...

Latest posts

Members online