3.7 to 2.8 CRD conversion

Discussion in 'How To' started by Simon Martin, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Simon Martin

Simon Martin New Member

Hi y'all, I'm new to the forums, this being actually my first post. Just wondering, is there any way possible to swap a 2.8 diesel into a 3.7 gasser? I'm not too familiar with the CRDs, what are they like for power/reliability and how do they preform with mods/tunes etc.? Or maybe they aren't worth swapping? As you can see, I'm not a pro about this kind of stuff. Thanks in advance!

2. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

Much too difficult to do. As far as I can recall on a LostJeep post the CRD has a lower cradle under the engine as the engine needs to sit lower.

Then engine mounts would be different, all wiring harnesses and PCM/TCM/BCM/FCM etc. need replacing.

ABS system is different and I would not like to know how to connect the various transmissions up.

Large Bosch injection pump up front needs to be fitted, Vacuum Pump and special Alternator with over-run pulley needs to be fitted.

Much as I love my old CRD, this is Not a robust engine....Rubber Timing Belt.. and Diesels are becoming the main target of the Bunny Huggers....ie. Tunes have been outlawed!

Not that I have anything against Clean Air or Bunnies!;)

Post your question on LostJeeps and I think you will get your answer!

3. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

You'd need to go crazy first. But if you're already there... Or that's where you want to go...:D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020