3.7 timing chain longevity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMopar22

Reaction score
My '02 has 165,000 on it and has never been apart. Do they have timing chain failures? Some engines go for ever on the timing chain and others have to have them changed religiously, I wasn't sure which one the 3.7 was.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your confusing timing chains and timing belts.

Timing belts have a change interval between 40k-100k depending on model and timing chains generally outlast the rest of the engine.

MrMopar22

Reaction score
I think your confusing timing chains and timing belts.

Timing belts have a change interval between 40k-100k depending on model and timing chains generally outlast the rest of the engine.

Not necessarily. The 2.7 has a chain and they love to break, especially if you do a lot of high RPM acceleration. Undone, the chain is about 4’ long. They stretch until the tensioner cannot keep them tight any more. Once they are loose, the slack allows the cams to jerk the chain as they turn. Then it's only a short time before they break. I've repaired dozens of them. It bends all the intake valves. I’ve has some as low as 80K and as high as 140K before they break; it all depends on how hard you drive. I didn’t know if 3.7 shared the same fate, I wanted to do some preventative maintenance.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never known of a 2.7 in a Jeep
Know of a 2.5 but I thought it had a chain
just like the 4.0 or 3.7 which as stated will
out last the engine
And don't be a dummy like me and ask
"I don't see any thing in the owners manual about
when to change the timing belt when I know I need to!"
Only to find out that your 2.0L car engine has a chain

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I havn't heard of any 3.7L timing chains breaking on the forum anyway. There's 3 timing chains in the 3.7L and some on here have high mileage. Really, anything mechanical can break but I wouldn't worry about the timing chains. Just keep driving it.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Timing chain break? On a 3.7L?

You'd break a valve spring before that happens.... about 10 times!

(Just putting this into perspective... timing chains on a 3.7L never break...)

Latest posts

Members online