3.7 Engine Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotorParts

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, new member here.
My wife just bought a new Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7 v6.
I am not familiar with the 3.7 engine.
Are these engines typically noisey, there is a lot of ticking and clicking going on?
The noise level seems to be louder on the passenger side.
I could not find any exhaust leaks and the engine runs smooth.

Thanks

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, new member here.
My wife just bought a new Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7 v6.
I am not familiar with the 3.7 engine.
Are these engines typically noisey, there is a lot of ticking and clicking going on?
The noise level seems to be louder on the passenger side.
I could not find any exhaust leaks and the engine runs smooth.

Thanks

Ticking and clicking? I guess we'd have to define "a lot". To me, it doesn't seem like an engine that's heavy on ticking and clicking, which I would identify as lifters. For me, compared to my old Datsun 280z which was an inline 6 really ticked and clicked- being an older fuel injection car, I believe that the injectors ticked and clicked as much as the lifters did. So compared to that, I'd say that the 3.7 isn't noisy when speaking specifically of ticking and clicking.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine ticks and clicks to let you know it's running and that it's an authentic Jeep.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie's is quiet. On startup, it makes quite a bit of lifter rattle, but once it's warmed up it's near dead silent.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Engine noise is subjective. Some would say the 3.7L is quiet. I personally think it's rather loud. And I've heard several of them, had two myself, they all sound the same to me. The ticking you hear is likely the very loud fuel injectors.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine noise is subjective. Some would say the 3.7L is quiet. I personally think it's rather loud. And I've heard several of them, had two myself, they all sound the same to me. The ticking you hear is likely the very loud fuel injectors.

You see I don't think the KJ's injectors are loud on the ticking. I have to put a screwdriver and my ear against them (mechanic's stethoscope) to hear 'em. Do they make more noise with mileage?

MotorParts

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
The Jeep has about 350 miles on it now. It ticks or clicks more than Hemi V8 in my truck.
It reminds me of the sound of our 93 Grand Cherokee after it had 100,000 miles on it.
The dealer says it is normal for that engine. I listened to two other Jeeps and they were not quiet, but not as loud as my wifes car. You can not hear it inside the car at all just outside.

I will post a couple of pics as soon as I find out how to do it.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking Jeep Motor!

In ThunderbirdJunkie's experience, the 3.7 is a real noisy motor when new...it's noisy as hell on startup compared to a bone-stock hydraulic lifter Ford 5.0, but it quiets down. It's mostly valvetrain noise you're hearing.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 3.7 is exactly the oposite of TBJ's. My engine is supurbly quiet at startup. Then after 1 minute of running engine (after the oil is thined out a tad) the lifters and rockers make all kinds of racket. It's been like since the day I bought it back in 2003... I've always used Mobil1 5W30 and changed the oil every 3,000 miles.

A mechanic once asked me if the engine was running a quart low on oil. Nope! It's just a vocal powerplant.

Last edited:

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
clean the fuel injectors....if you dont like hearing it that much but with that truck idk if i would be in the KK...lol

MotorParts

Reaction score
I guess it is just the nature of the beast. The noise does sound like light valve train ticking and is louder when the engine is warm. It reminds me of the sound of the old slant six solid lifter engines but not as loud, yet.

The Ram is a nice truck but I like driving the Liberty around town because you do not need a football field to turn around or park it. That is why my wife bought it, as she wanted something smaller and easier to park than her Chrysler 300.

MotorParts

Reaction score
Yes it is an 09. It has about 8000 miles on it now at one year old. I think it is the best riding half ton four wheel drive truck on the market today. I drove Ford, Chevy and Toyota trucks and the Ram rode the smoothest to me.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Ya i had a 2nd gen. hemi i got about 12 mpg city and maybe 16hwy

what kind you gettin in that ram?

MotorParts

Reaction score
In warm weather it gets 13-14 in the city and 18 on the highway when I checked it around 5000 miles. In the cold weather and using the remote start the mileage drops about 2 miles per gallon. I replaced a 2000 Ram with the 5.9 engine, the 2009 gets 2 mpg better city mileage and 1 mpg better highway.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it is just the nature of the beast. The noise does sound like light valve train ticking and is louder when the engine is warm. It reminds me of the sound of the old slant six solid lifter engines but not as loud, yet.

The Ram is a nice truck but I like driving the Liberty around town because you do not need a football field to turn around or park it. That is why my wife bought it, as she wanted something smaller and easier to park than her Chrysler 300.

Thats my biggest like so far of my 08KK. I can put it anywhere. Not so with my full size 4x4 Trucks.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online