245/75R16 verses 255/70R16 - pros and cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I prefer taller over wider if I have to choose. Will be at 21.25-21.5 all the way around with the pinch welds flattened out. Stock steel or aluminum rims.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
255-70-16s are shorter but wider of the two
255s would keep some of the power and mileage lose you would have with taller 245-75s ( only 1/2 inch I know but.....)
Also not as many manufactures make a 255-70-16 either
But comes down to what you like and what width of wheels you are getting

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im 3.75 inches front and 4 rear . rear is fine but i had a lot of rubbing with the 255/60s , pounded the pinch welds and lots of trimming and shaping the wheel wells. Still get occasional rubbing in reverse at full lock to the right. Type of wheels will effect this also. Gear hunting around 50mph no matter if a hill or not and a little doggish so a lot more od off, regearing soon, the heavy cragars dont help either.

Thats my experience at least.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning to stick with stock wheels. The 255/70R16's are pretty much the exact diameter I'd like to run, but sounds like the width is going to be a problem. I have no problem flattening out the pinch weld, but don't want to get into hacking up the fender flares.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning to stick with stock wheels. The 255/70R16's are pretty much the exact diameter I'd like to run, but sounds like the width is going to be a problem. I have no problem flattening out the pinch weld, but don't want to get into hacking up the fender flares.

"Massaging" is more the way I like to put it. Heat up the plastic and simply move it when it's nice and malleable.

It's a tough call because you're pretty much lower than a normal lift and you might sink even lower than that after all is said and done. Lot of unknowns here.

I think if you really tried and moved things to make things work you will make either size fit just fine...so go with personal preference.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Massaging" is more the way I like to put it. Heat up the plastic and simply move it when it's nice and malleable.

It's a tough call because you're pretty much lower than a normal lift and you might sink even lower than that after all is said and done. Lot of unknowns here.

I think if you really tried and moved things to make things work you will make either size fit just fine...so go with personal preference.

Appreciate your input. Yeah, 21-21.5" was all I was ever looking for. Definitely can find some good deals on the 55's. Obviously, not as popular as the 45/75's.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the flip side, handling, general ride and offroad performance was all greatly improved when i got the new tires. It also took a good 2 months or so so start feeling some of the gear hunting, no real noticable loss of MPG .5 at most

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed, you can do the 255 70 16, but i kinda wish i had gone with 245 75 16
i have the stock wheels too
i definitly massaged the flares, wheel wells, and pinch welds. the rear is fine, the front needs all the work. wheel spacers helped me out too...

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Kyle. Leaning towards the 245/75R16's at this point. Might purchase one tire to test fitment after I install the JBA top plate, JBA 3/8" clevis spacer and an additional Mopar upper rear isolator. I'll test it lock to lock fully extended, static and compressed and adjust/trim/message as necessary. I'll be running my smaller studded snows until Spring, so I have plenty of time to make sure I do it right.

This is bringing back a lot of memories for me. Last time I did this was back in the 80's with my 1980 Datsun 720 4x4 pickup truck. Took a 2" body lift and a fair amount of trimming and hammering for me to clear a nice set of larger very aggressive directional tread mud tires. That was an independent torsion bar front suspension. Luckily, in-between then and now my 4x4's have had frames and straight front axles. Don't get me wrong though, I'm really enjoying my little libby.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can click the Edit button in your posts to edit any of your own messages.

You must be registered for see images

See that first one above?

Yes, I've used it several times, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes lately it just comes up with a blank box with no text to edit.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've used it several times, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes lately it just comes up with a blank box with no text to edit.

I've been using the forum software for 15 years or so and as an administrator of 2 or more vBulletin forums over the last 12 years. The Edit button does work, but the browser you use might not. Try doing a hard refresh (hold Ctrl key down and tap the F5 key - on a Mac it's Command+R), then click the Edit button.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought it might have something to do with the laptop or PC I'm using at the time. Normally works, but every now and then it just comes up as a blank dialog box with no text to edit. I'll try a hard refresh next time around. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online