245/75r16 Rubbing Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting my new tires soon...wish I had them now with the 24"+ of snow on the ground that's still coming down.

Right now I'm sitting at about 21" in the front, a little higher in the back. I want to do 245/75r16 Duratracs, but wondering if I'll have rubbing issues. Will I need to flatten the pinch weld and modify my front bumper? Is 21" up front sufficient, or will I need to do a clevis lift as well.

What about 1.25" spidertax spacers? They should keep my tires off the sway bar, but will they make rubbing in other areas worse?

I was also thinking about 245/70's...but I don't see duratracs in that size. What about 235/85r16? Would a taller, narrower tire rub any less...would 235/85 require a regear?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
235 85 16's are a 32 inch tire. 245 75 16's are closer to 31 inches. I was at 21 inches and cleared 245's just fine. First set had no rubbing issues (except the sway bar; not really a problem though), second set were a little bigger and had to pound the pinch weld flat; easy to do. You shouldn't have a problem fitting the 245's.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I'm at 22" and I have a little more heat gun work to do on the pass side.

Pinch welds were done before the tires. The only trimming has been to the air dam and very bottom inner wheel well front... so far.

Rubbed on the sway and the air dam before the spidertrax.

Not sure yet, but I may have to relocate the washer bottle. I think that is right behind where I'm still rubbing.

I've still managed to do it (to this point) without cutting into the exterior of the bumper.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to know, thanks. So looks like I'll just do the pinch weld before I get the tires...hopefully I can get by with minimal modifications after that.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will also likely need the heat gun.

Easiest way seems to be to wedge something between your uca, lca or whatever and where you want the fender to be pushed. Heat it up and let it cool slow. Will probably still need some minor trimming to bottom lip in front depending on your alignment and how much caster your running.

if you can live with the sway bar rubbing, you will have less rubbing elsewhere compared to moabs, spacers, etc, ie smaller offset setups.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spider Trac spacers work great. I have 17" Moab wheels and tires from an 08 wrangler and no rubbing at all and I haven't trimmed anything.