235 85 16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunting kj

Reaction score
i purchased a all j products premium 2 lift ion rock crusher 16 by 8 rim with 3.75 back spaceing and 235 85 r16 bfg all terrains i was wondering if this is going to cause excessive rubbing even if i do some trimming and bend the pinch weld i need to know quick so i can return the rims if i have to

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i purchased a all j products premium 2 lift ion rock crusher 16 by 8 rim with 3.75 back spaceing and 235 85 r16 bfg all terrains i was wondering if this is going to cause excessive rubbing even if i do some trimming and bend the pinch weld i need to know quick so i can return the rims if i have to
You will have massive rubbing with those 3.75 BS rims,heck you'll have problems with the tires on the 8" rims,235's should be mounted on 7" rims,8" rims are way to wide,my 265/75 Trxus MT's state right on the tires to be mounted on 7" rims and they are over a inch wider then 235's.Get rims with 5" BS(for 8" rims) or 4.5"-5.5" BS for 7" rims to reduce rub,also you'll need more then 2" of lift to fit 235/85's(31.8" tall) tires.

I still don't know why everyone wants a 8" rim but not putting a wide enough tire for them.When my SFA swap is done my 35x13.50 Toyo's will be mounted on a 8" rim,over 4" wider then what most are trying to put on a 8" rim.

hunting kj

Reaction score
its not a 2" lift its the 2.5 and all j products says you can fit a 265 75 16 which the 235 85 16 isnt as tall .1" plus they have mileage on them already and not nearly as wide. the rim width problem had occored to me but for back spacing wouldnt having the wheel and tire further from the inner fender keep it from rubbing? also where did you get your lift because thats a for inch isnt it is it the rock crawler.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not a 2" lift its the 2.5 and all j products says you can fit a 265 75 16 which the 235 85 16 isnt as tall .1" plus they have mileage on them already and not nearly as wide. the rim width problem had occored to me but for back spacing wouldnt having the wheel and tire further from the inner fender keep it from rubbing? also where did you get your lift because thats a for inch isnt it is it the rock crawler.
Having the rim farther out causes more rubbing due to increasing the turning arc of the tires,you will have contact on the front bumber,and fender flares,even pounding down the pinchweld won't eliminate the tire rubbing on it.As for the rear it will severly rub on the front of the rear flare ripping it off when any flex of the rear axle.

Right now I'm running a "pre-soft ride" SkyJacker coil lift,I'm netting 3 3/4" lift and running 265/75 tires.I had massive rub till I got 7" rims with 4.5" BS and the front ARB bumber and major rear flare trimming.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we're on the subject....

235/85's on stock 7" aluminum rims would most likely rub badly despite a pinch weld fix and a heat gun to add clearance to the front fascia, correct? As my sig shows, I have the Rusty's front spacer (gave me 1.5"-1.75" lift) and 2 extra (3 total) rear isolators (~1" lift). I can additionally add a 3/8" clevis if I need to (i.e., if that would make the difference of them clearing) and figure something out for the rear.

Just trying to narrow down my options. ;) I am thinking there isn't a shot in hell that this'll work for me.

hunting kj

Reaction score
thanks for the info i appreciate it. i realized bfgoodrich has a new km2 245 70 17 that is smaller and will fit my stock 17s so hopefully there wont be much trimming to do from all you guys have told me and what ive found out from all j products and other research there shouldnt be thanks again i really do appreciate it and ill post pics when i get her in the air.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the rim farther out causes more rubbing due to increasing the turning arc of the tires,you will have contact on the front bumber,and fender flares,even pounding down the pinchweld won't eliminate the tire rubbing on it.As for the rear it will severly rub on the front of the rear flare ripping it off when any flex of the rear axle.

Right now I'm running a "pre-soft ride" SkyJacker coil lift,I'm netting 3 3/4" lift and running 265/75 tires.I had massive rub till I got 7" rims with 4.5" BS and the front ARB bumber and major rear flare trimming.

tjkj did you shave your CV joints to achieve this extra lift?

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope,my CV's are the same one's from the factory and no mods to them and stll going strong after 60,000 very hard miles.

Awesome! How many miles do you have on your jeep. Mine's almost at 140000 km and haven't had any major issues with it yet.