2012 Jeep Liberty stuck on defrost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coltb46

Reaction score
My wife’s Jeep air vents are stuck on defrost permanaty. I’ve searched the internet high and low for someone that has had a similar issue and fix to the problem but, no dice. Everyone seems to say it’s a vacuum leak somewhere but unless I’m and idiot I don’t think the 2012 air actuators run off vacuum. Couple of weeks ago I removed my dash on my 2007 Dodge Ram and replaced to evap core and blend doors which was easy but her Jeep as me stumped beacuse I can hear her doors moving with not air change. Anyone have any ideas?

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you hear the doors moving? The direction door on my 2008 got stuck and caused the door motor to break the gear and jump the track. I could hear the motor working, the the door itself didn’t move. You can confirm whether the motor and tracks are working by looking up under the dash on the driver’s foot well toward the center (look up). You should see the motors and gears working there—or hear a clicking if it came off the track.

Taking apart the dash is a little time consuming, but not horrible. There a how-to on this site if you search for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KKinTexas

Reaction score
This happened with our 2010 Jeep Liberty. Chances are it's your blend door housing. It's not repairable. You need to get a replacement and get the seal kit to go with it. If you're handy you can do this job in about four to five hours. Requires removal of most of the dash components. This housing contains the blend doors and sits on top of the HV AC module which is why you have to take the whole dash apart. What happens is some of the gaskets get old and sort of dissolve and gum up the doors inside the housing. Then the little gears on the outside gets stripped or jammed. End result is doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Got mine on Amazon for the best price. Some videos on YouTube if you take the time to search. You will have to disconnect the heater hoses in the engine compartment from the firewall and with a little some tubing and some compressed air you could blow most of the coolant out of the heater core so you can remove it without making a mess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KKinTexas

Reaction score
This is what the top of the housing looked like on ours. You can see the adhesive or rubber pieces have become soft and sticky which is what causes the doors to become stuck or jammed
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KKinTexas

Reaction score
Also search
No floor heat - 2012 liberty
More details there I think....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online