2012 Jeep Liberty Fuel Filter Relpacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.
I have a 2012 Liberty that is lurching when climbing a hill or any other acceleration demand. I am wondering if its just a fuel filter because it has never been changed since the jeep was new. Can anyone tell me where it is and a run down of how to replace it? I see videos that show an access in the rear but, I don't think this is the same type of jeep because my gas tank is more in the middle of the vehicle not, at the rear. Anyway, I'm lost. This is the first Jeep I've ever had so, I don't know them very well.
Thanks for any help, guys.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That is for the KJs in the rear, not the KK you have
Must drop tank
I would check out other things first though before doing that
like spark plugs, when was they last done? Every 30,000 miles NGK COPPERS

slayer021175666

Reaction score
Ok. Thank you. I'll do the plugs and wires first, then. I know it's been way over 30,000 miles. Is it that three wire system where there are three coil packs right on top of three of the spark plugs and then spark plug wires run over to the other bank from those coils? I don't have the car here right now or I'd look myself. My wife has it.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
tommudd,
I just found a thread fro 2011 where you said you replaced the coil packs at about 100,000 miles and a guy asked you this:

How did you know they were getting weak? Is there a way to test them?
Mine have 119k on them. Sometimes the engine feels like it's misfiring, although the CEL never comes on. Usually when I'm pulling a hill and the RPM's get down to 1300, I feel either a miss or slight surge, but it's hard to tell. It only seems to occur when the engine is pulling hard at low RPM's. When the trans finally decides to downshift and the revs go up, everything is smooth and fine.

But, you never ansered him. This thing he described is my same problem.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 188,000 on the original coils. I figure I’ll know it when one dies, LOL.

But in my 08 I have 6 coils (one per plug) so mine are doing half the work yours are.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
tommudd,
I just found a thread fro 2011 where you said you replaced the coil packs at about 100,000 miles and a guy asked you this:

How did you know they were getting weak? Is there a way to test them?
Mine have 119k on them. Sometimes the engine feels like it's misfiring, although the CEL never comes on. Usually when I'm pulling a hill and the RPM's get down to 1300, I feel either a miss or slight surge, but it's hard to tell. It only seems to occur when the engine is pulling hard at low RPM's. When the trans finally decides to downshift and the revs go up, everything is smooth and fine.

But, you never ansered him. This thing he described is my same problem.
That was on the 04 and I replaced them since I bought a whole load of KJ parts and there happened to be a set of coils that I couldn't sell so I installed them
On my 03 I have over 168,000 miles and the originals and no issues
My 05 has about 130,000 and originals in it no issues
so until they go bad or a serious misfire occurs they will stay put

slayer021175666

Reaction score
So, if you were me, would you just replace the plugs and wires? Is there a way to test the coils?

66-f100

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.
I have a 2012 Liberty that is lurching when climbing a hill or any other acceleration demand. I am wondering if its just a fuel filter because it has never been changed since the jeep was new. Can anyone tell me where it is and a run down of how to replace it? I see videos that show an access in the rear but, I don't think this is the same type of jeep because my gas tank is more in the middle of the vehicle not, at the rear. Anyway, I'm lost. This is the first Jeep I've ever had so, I don't know them very well.
Thanks for any help, guys.
I would run an analyzer on it. Could be simple as a coil.

Last edited: