2011-KK-Multiple ODB Codes-Engine

Discussion in 'KK General Discussion' started by Ed Elder, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Ed Elder

Ed Elder Arizona Scenery

I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD, 3.7l OEM status. I have had various ODB codes over the last few months, starting with P0133 and P0420. I replaced both upstream O2 sensors and also the spark plugs. It ran well for a few weeks and now is much worse with rough idling and more codes. The last set of codes included: P0133, P0153, P0172, P0300, and P0304. It is in good shape and has no leaks and no noises. Could the coils be bad and if so, can they be tested some way? I assume misfiring could lead to a rich gas situation but I don't understand the problem with "slow responses" from the O2 sensors. Please give me some ideas from experience or knowledge. Thank you.

2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

First what spark plugs did you use
    Also what 02 sensors did you use
    These motors only react to certain parts, if from any of the Zones etc and not NGK spark plugs that could be part of the problems

3. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

It sure is not going to run right unless the correct spark plugs are used, & they need to be gapped correctly.
    The only correct spark plugs are: NGK ZFR6F-11 (set the Gap @ .043 in)
    As far as o2 sensors, use only NGk/NTK branded ones, anything else won't work right in the Jeeps.

Also P0304 means that the cylinder 4 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Mopar Coil pack- possibility, fuel filter, injector, fuel pressure test...

4. Ed Elder

Ed Elder Arizona Scenery

The plugs were Denso #4544 Platinum and the O2 sensors were Kax 234-4587 OEM 250-24253

5. Ed Elder

Ed Elder Arizona Scenery

The plugs were Denso #4544 Platinum and the O2 sensors were Kax 234-4587 OEM 250-24253. After I replaced the O2 sensors (upstream) and the plugs, the Jeep ran for a few weeks with no light and no issues. However, the old plugs were Autolite and none of them looked bad or looked fairly new. Other than the CEL coming on, the only noticeable thing was a rough and rolling idle. Should I replace both or start with the O2 sensors?

6. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

There is one issue right there
    JUNK Denso Plat plugs , these motors HATE any Platinum spark plug , wasted your money on them
    Then the sensors will not work as well
    start with the spark plugs
    It tells you on the core support what to use, NGK coppers NO PLATS
    Plats will cause a rough idle

John P. and LibertyTC like this.