2008 Jeep Liberty Limited starting issues

Discussion in 'KK General Discussion' started by Lmperez9906, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Lmperez9906

Lmperez9906 New Member

My Jeep Liberty randomly doesn’t start. It doesn’t do it all the time. It seems when the weather is warmer and I run multiple errands and start and stop it multiple times it won’t start. The engine turns over but it doesn’t start. When I let it sit about 30 mins then it will start again. I was told it could be the fuel relay switch or fuel pump fuse but probably not the fuel pump. My mechanic is having a hard time locating the fuel relay. Where is it located? Any ideas what else it could be? It runs great otherwise.

2. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like Vapor lock. Try cranking for just a second, then stop, and then start it again see if that works...
    The owners manual mentions cavity M25- 20 amp yellow for the fuel pump.
    There are two ASD (auto shut down) cavity M19 & M21
    I would want to do a fuel pressure test, and then a 10 minute leak down test, while the fuel pressure gauge is connected to the fuel rail.

3. tomknight

tomknight New Member

Daughter's 08 had a similar issue, and a new fuel pump fixed it.

4. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

The KJs sometimes have a problem whereby the cam or crank sensor fail when they get hot. Let the Jeep cool down and it fires up again.

You can disconnect the sensors and measure the resistance when cool then heat up the sensors with a hairdryer and see if the resistance changes...not supposed to change!