2008 headlights and other intermittent problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

munjundo

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I went to leave at night time and as I was backing out seemed one headlight had gone out. When I got out of the car I could see the headlights putting on a bit of a show. Each side blinking off and on never both on at the same time.

All other lights do work. The only quirky thing is using the right turn signal will make the fog lights both turn off for less than a second.

Well initially looking into the problem pointed to the turn signal switch. So I replaced that and it's been good to go for the past week since I switched it out.

On the way home today (at dusk) I flipped on the headlights and I could tell right away the problem is back. I took the column apart to peak at the new turn signal switch and after about 20 minutes of the car being off the lights all started working again as normal.

Now, although not really pointed directly, what the problem may be is the TIPM. It's had a couple oddball quirks that also point anyways to it being bad. The front washers that haven't worked in a year (despite hearing the pump working) started spitting out fluid again. Rear wiper seems to have a mind of it's own. Once or twice in a the past 3 years or so, It has not wanted to turn over right away.

The AC compressor fried itself. But until I got the new one put in, The battery would be dead the next day. The shop told me that the compressor may have been causing that drain. I don't know if i believe them on that.

Battery is less than year old and I put in a new alternator last year.

I don't know where to start looking. Doesn't appear I have any shorts or bad grounds. Tipm seems most logical unless there is something else somewhere that is failing.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that it probably is the TIPM or the wires going to it from the Headlight Switch could be shorting to ground or to other random wires. The TIPM is obviously a very complex Module with CAN and other Busses controlling it.:(

First thing is to check all the grounds starting with the ground from the battery to chassis and the engine.

A bad battery can cause all sorts of problems with the CAN and other Busses.

I know nothing about the KK but did recently download 2008 KK
manuals from the cardiagn.com site to help some other User here.

Go to the KK General Discussion Section on the site here and follow the link given by Ifhoward to the cardiagn site for Factory Service Manuals. I had to sign up to the site and managed to download the 2008 KK and 2011 KK Manuals.

There is a section "Headlights" which shows the wiring...fuses #M13 20A and #M29 15 A may be relevant...check they are clean and tight.

Other Grounds are also shown which need to be checked.

I cannot help you more than that..I have never even seen the engine bay of a KK!;)

Last edited:

munjundo

Reaction score
I'll have a look myself. I don't suspect the grounds as potentially being a problem. The AC compressor was just within the last month and I had a shop do that repair. And they checked all the electrical since I told them about it dying when left sitting. Can't rule it out either being a ground issue but still.

I'll have a look at those fuses and the manual. Looking at the fuse diagram, unless I missed something, doesn't list anything specifically for the headlights. The back ups are on a replaceable fuse.

I wish there was a relay for them on the TIPM that I could solder a new one in and just be done with it.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online