2007 trans. (42RLE) fluid / filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 8qts and 2 filter / gasket kits (couldn't find it until after I ran to A.Z. for another ;)

The pan is obviously going to come off without a hitch and the filter will be no problem.

My questions are: On a 2007 that has the factory dipstick tube breather (dipstick delete) plug installed, can I re-fill another way?

Can I yank that breather easily and use the tube to refill?
Or can I run a line into an opening or plug somewhere on the trans. and drain the 4-6qts. in?

I don't have a 2005 dipstick installed (plan on it) yet so can I dump in 5.5qts and be okay on a pan drop filter change?

Thanks! (I just got done reading the gasket / filter thread and the video of a DIY flush and several others through search and haven't found this answer for the later model owners.)

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy do I feel silly. With some effort, that cap (I don't know if it breathes) came right out.)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a dipstick sold as an optional tool... Thought i have seen it all from auto manufacturers...

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tube is the same as a 2004-2005 model so I can pick up from the dealer a dipstick though, right? I think I read that on this forum in the past.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen on this and other forums, folks have had to add anywhere from 4-6 quarts. I started with 4quarts and kept adding as necessary. I think I ended up putting in 5-1/2 quarts. I would say that a dip stick is mandatory.
Bruce

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen on this and other forums, folks have had to add anywhere from 4-6 quarts. I started with 4quarts and kept adding as necessary. I think I ended up putting in 5-1/2 quarts. I would say that a dip stick is mandatory.
Bruce

+1. IIRC, mine took about 5.5 qts also, but I wouldn't change it w/o being able to check the level afterward.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? $55 for a dipstick?

Isn't the 2007 42RLE the same as the 2005 or 2006?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tube is the same as a 2004-2005 model so I can pick up from the dealer a dipstick though, right? I think I read that on this forum in the past.

Not sure I know it started in 06 and this is the dealer spec on how to check the fluid.
If you do find one that fits make sure its not to short and the trans is at full temp when you do it.
The dip stick tool is longer then needed and it goes down to you hit the pan you have to use a chart check the temp and then read the stick to get it correct.
Maybe Tjkj may know if this is posable to check with a 06 or 07 using a 04-05 trans dip stick or someone else who has done this
Had mine check at the dealer for free and will check it with the stick from my 05 when I get it some time next week. I have an 02 but I know that its not the same trans.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. That is correct. 06 had the dipstick, then 07 did not. Cost saving effort. I double check part numbers of the dipstick tube, ******, pan, etc, and they are all the same between 06 and 07. After I added the 06 dipstick to mine, I went to dealer and had them check the level with the special dipstick versus mine. They were both the same...

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you had to make a part for the 06 to make it work on an 07?
If so how much if you sell the part to make it work correctly?
And I do know that some late date 06 do not have dip sticks not sure why
And if everything is the same why would the 06 pop out.
I would still like to have the dipstick in my 07 even if I have to do the mod then only use the tool like once a year to check. Just easyer to keep and eye on when doing fill ups

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can make the part for $12 shipped. Already made one for someone else too.

Some 05 and 06 models had a problem with them popping out a little too.

You could just buy the dipstick for an 06, Remove your 07 filler plug, check your level, then replace the plug, and put the dipstick on the shelf in the garage until you want to check it again.

My "adapter" just extends the filler tube ever so slightly to take the pre-load from the bending of the dipstick as it bottoms out on the bottom of the ****** pan. Just enough so it stays in place all the time.

See BugginKJ's comments on it over here. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=571042#p571042 He double-checked the accuracy with the adapter like I did too.

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done alot of reserch on this for the two types of auto trans for 07 the 42RLE 4 speed & the 5-45RFE multi speed. Using parts guides and matching dip stick tubes,dip sticks and trans pans, and the part number called for by jeep is not the same as an 06 but oem is to put on the trans plug.
So I have ordered one with Mopar and then will post as it is not the same part number of an 06. I also ordered an adaptor from Long tall texen (Thank you) and I will get an 06 to compare as I am sure that will work.
Im thinking hes right and there may be a tad differnts in the top of the stick.
So when I am sure the true 07 Mopar part # is correct I will post it as the cost is only like $6.50 plus shipping.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.