2007 Jeep Liberty making noise. Need help diagnosing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrendenKJ

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’ve attached a video. It happens mostly when I turn the wheel. On some other occasions too. Thanks in advance.

Shane Giggie

Reaction score
I had to replace sway bar bushing on my jeep it was making a similar noise to yours. Almost sounds like something is out of grease. I'd check them and ball joints

BrendenKJ

Reaction score
I had to replace sway bar bushing on my jeep it was making a similar noise to yours. Almost sounds like something is out of grease. I'd check them and ball joints
Thank you. I’m gunna give them a check after work if not tomorrow morning. Hopefully can get this figured out so I don’t have to just start replacing random parts.

Shane Giggie

Reaction score
Don't do that. Look, goggle, YouTube it don't just throw parts on it there not cheap.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a noise something like that on my 2002 Export CRD but noise was definitely coming from the top of the steering column. Jacked up the front so I could turn the steering wheel both ways.

Turned out to be the ball bearing at the top of the column was bad.
Dealers do not sell the bearing.....said I had to buy the complete steering column assembly:confused: So I located a similar bearing assembly at a bearing shop.

In any case you probably need to lift the front wheels and check everything in that area!

tdm5032c

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’ve attached a video. It happens mostly when I turn the wheel. On some other occasions too. Thanks in advance.

Front end components on the Liberty are pretty easy to isolate and inspect for condition. I would check it out sooner than later though. I had a front lower ball joint break and thankfully i was going pretty slow when it happened. Could have been a whole lot more serious ending if it had been at highway speeds. Ball joints will generally give you a little bit of advance warning before they fail in most cases. Mine had started having a slight kick back in the steering a few weeks before it broke. I just didn't recognize it at the time. No noise in the steering though on mine. I've since replaced every ball joint on the front end and the upper ball joint/ control arm on the rear suspension, as well as inner and outer tie rods.

Shane Giggie

Reaction score
Front end components on the Liberty are pretty easy to isolate and inspect for condition. I would check it out sooner than later though. I had a front lower ball joint break and thankfully i was going pretty slow when it happened. Could have been a whole lot more serious ending if it had been at highway speeds. Ball joints will generally give you a little bit of advance warning before they fail in most cases. Mine had started having a slight kick back in the steering a few weeks before it broke. I just didn't recognize it at the time. No noise in the steering though on mine. I've since replaced every ball joint on the front end and the upper ball joint/ control arm on the rear suspension, as well as inner and outer tie rods.
I think his is a ball joint too.

Latest posts

Members online