2006 TJ unlimited. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am seriously considering selling my beloved KJ and picking up a 2006 TJ unlimited. The one in question is 14k 4x4 4.0 automatic soft top lifted, skyjacker lift from what I can see in pics, and 32"bfg's. Anyone have any pros or cons on these? Oh an it only has 50k miles on it. Sure is better than my 138k on my 02kj.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love them! my next will be an LJ.

it will have the D44 in the rear. most are found with 3.73 and a limited slip in the rear.

i hate skycrapper...but that's my opinion.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well sounds like I got the go ahead. It was a, if you can pay for it, conversation. Not sure if it is a trap or not but I might make some calls tomorrow and see about financing. Who knows maybe by the end of the week I will have a new ride. :) then to sell the KJ. Anyone looking for a 2002 with no rust anywhere? :)

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love LJ's. I wanted one so bad but couldn't find one in my price range when I was Jeep shopping. Takes all the advantages of a TJ and gets rid of the biggest disadvantage (to me), the lack of room. I have seen a few recently and can't help but eyeball 'em. There are tons of aftermarket items, because almost everything from the TJ works with it, and LJ specific parts are plentiful as well.

Is your Jeep paid off? That would be the only kicker for me. Would hate to have to go back to a vehicle payment if you were in the clear.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeap my KJ is paid off and has been for a few years now. Believe me that is probably the only thing holding me back. Lol. The bonus is this LJ is at my bosses buddy's dealership so I might get a great deal on it. Or so I hope. We will see...still debating it an looking at finances.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also trying to figure out how much of a PITA having a child seat in the LJ would be lol.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:D nope. Still messing with the KJ. I fabricated a new tailgate counter weight/handle and worked on my power steering. It is on my mine though. Will swing by dealer Sunday and peak at it without the headhunters there.
Here is a pic of my weight. Right is the old and left is my fabricated one. FYI the nail was just there for the hell of it and is not welded on or anything.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321170099.063805.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321170099.063805.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 15

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go and see what kind of deal they will give you. Doesn't cost anything to talk about it. Bring your car seat and try it out to see if it works for you. Otherwise you could always wait for a 4dr JK to show up on his lot if that will work for you?

Dave

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*Update*
So I have been looking at this one JK at the dealership that I drive past on my way to work almost every morning. Today I call and setup a time to check it out. My wife and I meet the salesman, Mike, nice guy from Michigan, very new to the business and it shows. Anyway long story shorter, we took it for a drive and really like it. It has a 4" procomp lift, procomp rims and tires. Those are the good. The bad, there is a dent in the skid on the passenger side, not huge but pretty big. Nothing else looks bad. A few scraps underneith on the skids but nothing bad. You can tell it was wheeled but not hard. All works good and no leaks. The tail gate has a couple small dents in the lip, again no biggie to me.
We go inside and they try to get me to do a credit check. I tell him I am already approved through my bank and show them the paperwork. They are not happy, ball in my court, lol. I ask them on the price, they say it was 31k but they are sacrificing it at 26999. I tell them about some comps I have seen. They bounce back at 25999, I said, wait online you have it for 24999, ON YOUR SITE! they adjust to that and say of course that is as low as they can go. I bounce back saying if you can get my payment to X you have a deal. They respond sorry cant meet it but we can go half. I say no all of it. They say a little more. I say no all of it and now you have to throw in some side steps because my time is valuable. They say 3/4 to my price no on the steps. I said, guys come on. I was not born yesterday. I know the owner, Josh and his mother Caroline. Their eyes open a little and start asking questions. I then say, Mike,this poor guy is only going to get a spiff of $100 which is standard in the car business. They quickly jump on me HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT ARE YOU IN THE BUSINESS! I say, no but I do KNOW the business and know that you are in this JK for around 18,5 from the auction, put a 600 lift on it and dumped about 1200 in shoes and rims. They tell me they would be back. Now the big dog comes out, lol. His price went up from the last one we were working on and he says they are in the hole with it. I laugh and talk about the owner a little more. He says, I like you, you play hard ball. Tell you what since you know Josh I will take off 500 which is what we had to pay to do the oil changes and fluid checks, now that is right out of our pocket so we are giving you a 30k Jeep for 24499. I just laughed shook his hand and said sorry I am getting dinner with my wife. He quickly jumps out of his seat, literally shooting it behind him and says, you know what, take it with you. Drive it out to dinner, take it whereever you want no questions asked just think about it. I smile and say, no thank you but that is a nice offer. We turn and walk out. Mike the sales guy met us at the door shook our hand and gave me a head nod and wink. Tomorrow, I talk to my boss who is friends with Josh's mother and see what they can do. They have been friends for some 35 years, so it should be interesting. LOL.
The old, check out my numbers gag and the dip was higher than his last guy said he could go to. It was too funny. My wife said as we were driving away, that was fun can we do that again? LOL. One last note, there was a couple of guys that were acting like customers that were nearly glued to our hips the whole time we were there so we pegged them as spies/informants as everything we said they were a bit too interested in so we gave some extra false info. Lastly, it was funny because as we were negotiating this JK I had another dealer call me and start to play. They want 28k for a darn near identical jeep but in Yellow. What are these people smoking? A 2010, with 38k miles for 28k, LOL YEAH, RIGHT!

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to update and say, I bought a 2008 JKU in Rescue Green a couple days later. I already slapped a lift, seat covers, lights and a ton of other things on it, lol. Took it out this past weekend and it is GREAT! Now to just sell the poor KJ. This weekend I am going to repair a leak it has on the power steering and perhaps buff out some desert pin striping. :)

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is one. Prelift by about 20 min. I slapped a lift on it before I made my first payment :) along with a bunch of other mods/items.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326040463.669832.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326040463.669832.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 7

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice JK and congrats. My Son has one and no problem with the kids car seats. I have driven it quite a few times. Even high centered it once (my fault) but we just winched it off.

Dave