2006 renegade front end noise???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so just cursing along today enjoying having windows down when i heard like grinding noise or metal on metal like clancking noise and it dosent do it at a stop but when i go, its got the original rims on it!!....my 2002 started doing this and i thought it was because it had rims on it but never got it looked at or fixed before i sold it!

ive been looking this up for 2 hours and im gonna start first with breaks but i know its not rotors im gonna see about ball jounts( because of the recall crap), and front drive shaft and cv

please help going out of town to oklahoma from kansas city, mo (313 mile drive one way) this friday and need to know if this is a asap fixed thing

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so just cursing along today enjoying having windows down...

Just "cursing" along...? Were you mad at somebody and needed the windows down so you could throw a few cuss words at them? :whip: :icon_lol:

I think you meant 'cruising.' Anyways...

Check the CV joint on your front driveshaft at the transfer case end - not the front differential end. Almost for certain it's shot and the symptoms range from an annoying click to a rumble to the metal-on-metal sound you describe. If you don't need 4WD for your trip and you don't have time to fix it you can take out the front driveshaft and then repair it when you return. DO NOT PUT IT IN 4WD UNTIL THE DRIVESHAFT IS PUT BACK IN!

Here's the part you need - only $65 plus shipping.

Bob

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol yeah thats what I meant lol sorry that was a blonde moment!!!!

I decided to take my other car to OK just in case some happen but when I get back ill make sure I look at this, but that's what I have been finding alot of people saying but I just wanted to make sure because every body's story's different..

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just "cursing" along...? Were you mad at somebody and needed the windows down so you could throw a few cuss words at them? :whip: :icon_lol:

I think you meant 'cruising.' Anyways...

Check the CV joint on your front driveshaft at the transfer case end - not the front differential end. Almost for certain it's shot and the symptoms range from an annoying click to a rumble to the metal-on-metal sound you describe. If you don't need 4WD for your trip and you don't have time to fix it you can take out the front driveshaft and then repair it when you return. DO NOT PUT IT IN 4WD UNTIL THE DRIVESHAFT IS PUT BACK IN!

Here's the part you need - only $65 plus shipping.

Bob

okay so I went to advanced auto parts to see if I could get FRONT DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT, what you were talking about so I didnt have to order online they didn't have it they had GSP New CV Axle Shaft Assembly part number Part No. NCV82016
heres the link Buy GSP New CV Axle Shaft Assembly NCV82016 at Advance Auto Parts
its around the same price as the part you told me and the guy said it was easier to do this then take my old one apart and put FRONT DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT back in it but I went to the web site to look at it and there was only 1 review that said "Do not buy! The shaft was 3/4" longer than factory and I had to remove it due to a goaning noise." So now I'm iffy about buying it! but I probably will just go with the FRONT DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so I went to advanced auto parts to see if I could get FRONT DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT, what you were talking about so I didnt have to order online they didn't have it they had GSP New CV Axle Shaft Assembly part number Part No. NCV82016
heres the link Buy GSP New CV Axle Shaft Assembly NCV82016 at Advance Auto Parts
its around the same price as the part you told me and the guy said it was easier to do this then take my old one apart and put FRONT DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT back in it but I went to the web site to look at it and there was only 1 review that said "Do not buy! The shaft was 3/4" longer than factory and I had to remove it due to a goaning noise." So now I'm iffy about buying it! but I probably will just go with the FRONT DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT

Yeah, don't go to advance auto unless your just buying stupid stuff like oil and spark plugs. He was talking about a completely different part. He was talking about one of the front half shafts that go from the front differential to the wheel.

you need this
CV Joints & Shafts - JEEP FRONT DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT - Driveshaft Parts

then have a look at the how to:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-front-driveshaft-change-driveshaft-head-47161/

Don't ask part stores about the Liberty. They have no clue on ANYTHING.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on my noise, so I drove it 3 hours away n now im back irs louder n when I get about 40 or 50mph it clunks then there's a tiny vibration from my steering wheel, my friend has a dodge stratice and she said hers is doing the same thing and some one told her wheel bearings??? I have a video of the sound ill post later

Latest posts

Members online