2006 radiator crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nnote

Reaction score
Found a leak from a tiny crack, luckily today on a 4 day weekend and all the shops around me have one available. I do see though that the replacements have 5 plates dedicated to the transmission cooler line.

Im not seeing if doing this is gonna require draining the transmission fluid? Anyone know?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not on an 06! You have an external separate cooler. You could hook the extra in radiator one up but you don't need it really.

nnote

Reaction score
Sweet thanks! Gonna go pick it up now. Thanks for the quick reply.
I want to change the transmission fluid, but not this way!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No prob! Should be an easy job, just make sure HOAT type coolant is used (Mopar or Zerex G05, Napa, Advance and Oreillys have it)

nnote

Reaction score
Yup, went to Orielly's. Got the G-05 coolent. 179 for the radiator. 16 each for 2 gallons coolent. 230 total. It's still 110 out, gonna do the job in the morn when it's cooler and after the coolent has uh chilled? If you call it that.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put in a new mopar radiator, I must say the difference in quality is night and day with any cheap aftermarket rad. Also I read the aftermarket rads are not rated for 16 psi? This is where we are supposed to keep our pressure I think I read? The factory rad cap is 16 psi anyway

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

nnote

Reaction score
The radiators at autozone had horrible reviews, most saying they only last a year. Not sure if they one I got is the same branding? Has lifetime warrenty so you can get it replaced free though. Not a job I want to do every year though. If it comes to that... I'll go get a mopar.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radiators at autozone had horrible reviews, most saying they only last a year. Not sure if they one I got is the same branding? Has lifetime warrenty so you can get it replaced free though. Not a job I want to do every year though. If it comes to that... I'll go get a mopar.

Keep the tools you use handy,some of us thought the same thing and after 5-6 radiators in 3-4 years later went back to OEM.

Had 1 aftermarket radiator leak after 3 months and zero miles,put it in,ran it long enough to bleed the system and then it sat for 3 months doing my SFA swap and started leaking before I finished.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it you're up in phx area and not down here?

If you haven't changed your t-stat yet, rad. hoses or waterpump as a PM, now might be a good time to do it.

I believe o'reillys only sells concentrated g-05 so you'll need to get some DI water.

Last edited:

nnote

Reaction score
Ya, up in Phoenix.
Took about 3 hours to swap out this morn. Went well but a leak at the upper hose connection. It's all in good shape, so loosened it and re-seated it. Washed it all down ( so I could tell if anything new is leaking ) and gonna let it cool then go out around the block a couple times and check for leaks again. I have a feeling that's gonna vex me all day.

Oriely's had the 50/50 so good there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep the tools you use handy,some of us thought the same thing and after 5-6 radiators in 3-4 years later went back to OEM.

Had 1 aftermarket radiator leak after 3 months and zero miles,put it in,ran it long enough to bleed the system and then it sat for 3 months doing my SFA swap and started leaking before I finished.

LOL yep, my buddy Chris that used to be on here went through I think 10 or 11 ( in a couple of years ) before he went Mopar, then no issues

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess its true the aftermarket ones are not rated for the coolant pressure!

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in a NAPA radiator a year ago, and it fit exactly as the original. No problems so far.