2006 key turns to accessories but no power (no click sound)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahirTu

Reaction score
I noticed all of a sudden that when turning the key back for the accessories positions, they key turns but no sound of the usual click and nothing gets powered, Otherwise the key cycles to all positions normally and the jeep stars no problem however I noticed when shutting off, the the key turns out of run position kind of loosely (not as the usual) and sometimes when getting out of the car and pulling the key out it keeps beeping as if the key is still inside, it goes away when inserting and removing the key again.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this before, and would give advice to help pin point the problem.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the ignition switch itself is wearing out.
Once something is not not working correctly with the ignition, it is best advised to completely replace the ignition switch.
If by chance the actuator pin breaks, it can leave you completely stranded, by not allowing you to start the Jeep again.
Id get a new actuator Dorman # 924-704 installed as well, to be on the safe side.
I would recommend a new Mopar ignition and find an automotive locksmith to re-key the tumblers.
This video from a Pt. Cruiser helps to explain components of the system and how to access.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CRD28

Reaction score
I noticed all of a sudden that when turning the key back for the accessories positions, they key turns but no sound of the usual click and nothing gets powered, Otherwise the key cycles to all positions normally and the jeep stars no problem however I noticed when shutting off, the the key turns out of run position kind of loosely (not as the usual) and sometimes when getting out of the car and pulling the key out it keeps beeping as if the key is still inside, it goes away when inserting and removing the key again.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this before, and would give advice to help pin point the problem.
Starter motor solonod or starter relay
Fuses are down the side inside open left or Right hand drive. Door pull off panel
Other fuses are under the hood by the battery

TahirTu

Reaction score
Solved

The problem was in the ignition actuator pin that had broken tip which affected how it engages with the ignition switch, part is located below the steering wheel, you have to remove the steering cover and lock cylinder, ignition switch. replaced the part and it was all good.