2006 Jeep Liberty Ball Joint Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was bored tonight so I figured I would look up recalls for my 2006 liberty just to see if anything needed replaced. There were a couple minor ones that I found. One big one stood out:

RECALL: 2002 - 2006 Jeep Liberty
NHTSA Campaign Number: 06V288000 www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Manufacturer DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
Recall Date: AUG 01, 2006
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 826687

Description SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT

Summary ON CERTAIN TRUCKS, THE CONSTANT TENSION FRONT LOWER BALL JOINTS MAY EXPERIENCE CONTAMINATION. IF THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD WITH THIS CONDITION, THE BALL JOINT MAY EVENTUALLY EXPERIENCE WEAR AND LOOSENESS.

Consequence WHEN THE DRIVER CONTINUES TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE WITH THIS CONDITION, THE CONTAMINATION CAN LEAD TO CORROSION, ACCELERATED WEAR AND POSSIBLY SEPARATION FROM THE STEERING KNUCKLE CAUSING A LOSS OF VEHICLE STEERING CONTROL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT LOWER BALL JOINTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 11, 2006. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Has anyone else delt with this?

I guess I should call Chrysler and give them my VIN to see whats up? I have never delt with a recall before.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
X2
The dealer replacements will not have the zerk fittings. (grease nipple) Get the Moog's as mentioned above. Ya you can have em done for free by dealer without the zerk fitting under the recall, but eventually they will wear out and need to be done again. Pay to get the Moog's once, keep em greased, and you wont have any catastrophic failures.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All KJ's have needed their lower balljoints replaced under recall at least once. The problem is in the design of the pocket which lets water into the joint and can cause premature failure.

The new design is better somehow. But since Chrysler went bankrupt I don't know what they will be willing to help with these days. So you might just end up having to pay and if you do have to pay, why not get the MOOG's?

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to know if there are any outstanding recalls on your KJ, check out the Owner section of the Jeep website. You can enter your VIN and it will tell you.

But yeah, the dealer should replace those for ya free of charge. I know that on my KJ they were replaced twice. Once by the previous owner under the recall and again when I bought it. I don't know why they replaced them again, but thanks lol3.gif

jeepzilla

Reaction score
The stock BJ'S are crap, even being replaced free. They are dangerous. replaced mine at 30,000 an recently again at 62,000. The second time I had it at a garage for something else and the guy said he was surprised the wheels didn't fall off or lost all steering after seeing how bad they where... I told him when they where last replaced an his jaw almost hit the counter... I understand what was said about "why pay for Moog's if they replace them free" I drive alot of miles and I can't afford to loose my KJ to the dealer for a day once or twice a year. Besides unless your doing the balljoint check as described on this site everyday, it could fail at any time! Not a chance I'm willing to take, fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me! It hurt my pocket to get the Moog's but the alternative was just not an option for me... Get the Moog's an don't look back...

NoVA_KJ

Reaction score
Anyone had this done in the DC metro area? If so, how much should I expect to pay to have MOOGs installed?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If they do it for free, why pay for the MOOG's....

x2, at this rate I'm sure they're going to be more recalls....so as of now, I think I'm not going to be paying for ball joints for a while...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Funny how they have never done the recall on your KJ....hasn't seen a dealer in 3 years? Or they never bothered doing it?

I had mine changed (for free) 3 times now. Third set holding up.

Exactly Tony!
Why pay for something when you can get it for free!

Must be that we're Dutch!:D

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. The replacement units are from MOOG.

I think I am on my 3rd set of balljoints as well. But honestly I haven't noticed any problems. Even with the OEM parts, I didn't have any complaints. But me being completly stock might have something to do with it as well. [dunno]

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I can get them replaced under recall when they bag out...
Due to having a lift kit and all.

good question, i have a spacer lift and am about to install rancho's, OME's, and RRO .75" spacers in the front. I wonder if I should do the install first or have the ball joints changed first.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do all the KJ's qualify for the recall? Ive got an '04 and I know they could be serviced or replaced. Free is always better for me.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny how the have never done the recall on your KJ....hasn't seen a dealer in 3 years? Or they never bothered doing it?

I had mine changed (for free) 3 times now. Third set holding up.

Because eventually they'll stop doing it for free?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Once they stop free ball joints, I'll then consider aftermarket options..