2006 crd....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkazak

Reaction score
So.... greetings from a new member. Hope to learn some things and add to my knowledge base here.

Last week a 240lb buck deer took out my beloved 2004 Liberty Sport that was bone stock and had just turned over 70k miles. It was pretty much a mint truck and I really liked it (my first Jeep).

I've been scouring the countryside for another low miles Liberty and came across a 2006 Sport CRD. also low miles , appears to be a one-owner and is in REALLY nice shape.

Any thoughts on the little diesel..? Its going to be my commuter and I really like the idea of the better fuel mileage but ABOVE ALL I need it to be reliable with low maintenance costs. I can't afford major ( or even minor) mechanical problems. I intend on looking into an extended warranty but thought I would start here to get experienced opinions before I pull out the check book.

thanks in advance..

Cyberdrone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Lyberty 2 years ago with 50000km on it, I'm very pleased with it, and the mainenance (depending on how many miles you drive) is quite ok, I just do a yearly maintenance as I only do 15000km/year. It also depends where you bring it in for service, If you do it at a official Jeep dealer, you probably pay more. The CRD consumes around 9.5l/100km. I now have my first mechanical issue, and need to replace the EGR pipe, the part itself is 100€, but it will take a day work to replace the damn thing ..
For the rest, I'm pretty pleased with the car.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
The Liberty CRD has a great little motor, with potential for lots of torque. It is hampered by a very bad pollution control system, and a very bad engine thermostat that makes the engine run less efficiently, and use more fuel. The thermostat contributes to the pollution control problem. There are upgrades available, (200hp and 400 ft/lbs of torque are available), but they are expensive. Ask the seller if he has any of the Green Diesel Engineering tunes, Sasquatch Motorsports intake elbow, or Samco/Nishimoto intercooler hoses. He will not have my upgraded engine thermostat, as I have just started to produce them, and am having trouble getting them across the Canada/U.S. border.

This can be a VERY satisfying vehicle to own, but you have to have some patience. DO NOT believe most of the advice regarding problems with the CRD from your local Chrysler Dealer. Chrysler did not even send any of their technicians over to V.M. Motori for proper training.

I suggest you call me, as I own two of these vehicles and I know a fair amount about them.

Best regards,

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
I bought my Lyberty 2 years ago with 50000km on it, I'm very pleased with it, and the mainenance (depending on how many miles you drive) is quite ok, I just do a yearly maintenance as I only do 15000km/year. It also depends where you bring it in for service, If you do it at a official Jeep dealer, you probably pay more. The CRD consumes around 9.5l/100km. I now have my first mechanical issue, and need to replace the EGR pipe, the part itself is 100€, but it will take a day work to replace the damn thing ..
For the rest, I'm pretty pleased with the car.

Cyberdrone:

I would not replace the EGR pipe on that thing if my life depended upon it. :thumbsdown:

Talk to Kieth at Green Diesel Engineering, and Seth at Sasquatch Motorsports for parts and service that are WAY superior to original equipment parts. They may have a solution for you that will make your vehicle run stronger, more efficiently, and with fewer breakdowns. Google these companies for their contact information.

Regarding another issue, are European owners of vehicles with the V.M. Motori R428 turbo-diesel engine - the Jeep Liberty/Cherokee CRD being one of them - having problems keeping the engine temperature up high enough in cold weather? This is a real problem here in North America, and many owners are also upset that the entire thermostat unit has to be replaced, (VERY EXPENSIVE), when the thermostat fails.

I have developed a new thermostat for the R428, and am wondering of it will sell in Europe.

Best regards,

RoadNomad

Reaction score
CRD or not? It depends mostly on you!

I just sold off my CRD with over 100k on it. I can say it can be more expensive vehicle to own specifically over its 3.7l gas cousin. I just picked up a 06 3.7 Limited to replace mine with.

Couple of things to point out for your consideration. First the bad points. :emotions34:
1. Not everyone knows how to work on this diesel, bad if you break down on the road.
2. It is noisy when compared to the 3.7 gas especially when cold. Sounds like a little farm tractor.
3. Engine replacement: God forbid if you need to replace the engine, CRD replacement will set you back 6k, 3.7 much less at 2k
4. Excessive black smoke on medium or hard acceleration, this is something I really hated as well as my wife. Diesel is also smelly and difficult to get off clothing, another thing wives usually have issues with.
5. Much more expensive to repair then the 3.7, 2.8L, parts are limited and usually more expensive.
6. Diesel fuel more expensive then gas, wives usually hate to pump it, diesel cost per mile still higher then gas even with the better diesel fuel economy.
7. Issues with rocker arms, turbo, hoses and injectors can put you in the poor house.
8. Engine built by VMotari in europe, not a commercial diesel like the cummings used in the Dodge trucks and other applications.

Now the good points, :icon_lol:
1. Much more torque then the 3.7, unbelievable towing compared to the gas.
2. Better transmission/drivetrain
3. Better fuel economy (approx 10-20%)
4. CRD has the edge over the 3.7 off road, power comes on strong and smooth
5. Usually exempt from state emissions inspections (some not all)
6. Rare and kind of cool when people ask what the CRD stands for.
7. Usually sell for more then a comparable gas unit.

Should you buy the CRD have it looked over carefully by a competent diesel mechanic. Depending on the mileage you may have to replace some key components. If you buy it from a dealer consider an extended warranty. Plan on replacing the timing belt after 100k). My CRD had the turbo, hoses and all 4 fuel injectors, timing belt and water pump previously replaced.

Probably the best aftermarket option and a must by is the GDE tune. The GDE tune is for the most part plug and play and will restore the original torque the engine had before Chrysler detuned with F37 service TSB, this has been applied to most CRD's in the US. The GDE tune will also prevent the EGR from functioning making the engine run cleaner. Your oil will stay cleaner and the car will smoke less.

Another option is the Sasquatch or weeks kit. I would not recommend it for 2 reasons, first its somewhat difficult to install, and it deletes the flow control valve which is used in engine shutdown (it makes the engine shutdown more gracefully by closing off intake flow, the sasquatch kit deletes it). It also doesn't do anything to correct the detuned ECM which the GDE tune fixed.

Also, plan on replacing the turbo hoses with Samco replacements if it hasn't already been done already. The stock hoses are guaranteed to fail and when they do you will make more black smoke then a burning house.

Summary: The CRD is a good little diesel that's not for everyone. If you have mechanical ability, like to tinker and need a little SUV that can tow like an angry mule and don't mind spending extra money on maintenance it could be for you. IMHO! (no flames please!) :gr_grin: Good luck on your decision!

Last edited:

ElBarto

Reaction score
LOL, how can change the opinion depending where you live.
I'm from italy and:
Jeep Liberty (cherokee in Europe) are 99% CRD, today over 50-60% of all new car selled are diesel.
In My CRD i don't see significant black smoke, neither after change ECU map (163--->180HP). Are you sure you don't have engine problem?
diesel in italy and europe is less expensive that GAS.
VM motori is producted in Italy, so we don't have problems to find spare parts...

:icon_lol:

I just sold off my CRD with over 100k on it. I can say it can be more expensive vehicle to own specifically over its 3.7l gas cousin. I just picked up a 06 3.7 Limited to replace mine with.

Couple of things to point out for your consideration. First the bad points. :emotions34:
1. Not everyone knows how to work on this diesel, bad if you break down on the road.
2. It is noisy when compared to the 3.7 gas especially when cold. Sounds like a little farm tractor.
3. Engine replacement: God forbid if you need to replace the engine, CRD replacement will set you back 6k, 3.7 much less at 2k
4. Excessive black smoke on medium or hard acceleration, this is something I really hated as well as my wife. Diesel is also smelly and difficult to get off clothing, another thing wives usually have issues with.
5. Much more expensive to repair then the 3.7, 2.8L, parts are limited and usually more expensive.
6. Diesel fuel more expensive then gas, wives usually hate to pump it, diesel cost per mile still higher then gas even with the better diesel fuel economy.
7. Issues with rocker arms, turbo, hoses and injectors can put you in the poor house.
8. Engine built by VMotari in europe, not a commercial diesel like the cummings used in the Dodge trucks and other applications.

Now the good points, :icon_lol:
1. Much more torque then the 3.7, unbelievable towing compared to the gas.
2. Better transmission/drivetrain
3. Better fuel economy (approx 10-20%)
4. CRD has the edge over the 3.7 off road, power comes on strong and smooth
5. Usually exempt from state emissions inspections (some not all)
6. Rare and kind of cool when people ask what the CRD stands for.
7. Usually sell for more then a comparable gas unit.

Should you buy the CRD have it looked over carefully by a competent diesel mechanic. Depending on the mileage you may have to replace some key components. If you buy it from a dealer consider an extended warranty. Plan on replacing the timing belt after 100k). My CRD had the turbo, hoses and all 4 fuel injectors, timing belt and water pump previously replaced.

Probably the best aftermarket option and a must by is the GDE tune. The GDE tune is for the most part plug and play and will restore the original torque the engine had before Chrysler detuned with F37 service TSB, this has been applied to most CRD's in the US. The GDE tune will also prevent the EGR from functioning making the engine run cleaner. Your oil will stay cleaner and the car will smoke less.

Another option is the Sasquatch or weeks kit. I would not recommend it for 2 reasons, first its somewhat difficult to install, and it deletes the flow control valve which is used in engine shutdown (it makes the engine shutdown more gracefully by closing off intake flow, the sasquatch kit deletes it). It also doesn't do anything to correct the detuned ECM which the GDE tune fixed.

Also, plan on replacing the turbo hoses with Samco replacements if it hasn't already been done already. The stock hoses are guaranteed to fail and when they do you will make more black smoke then a burning house.

Summary: The CRD is a good little diesel that's not for everyone. If you have mechanical ability, like to tinker and need a little SUV that can tow like an angry mule and don't mind spending extra money on maintenance it could be for you. IMHO! (no flames please!) :gr_grin: Good luck on your decision!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted a CRD jeep so I would say go for it but do your homework and get the carfax history on it. Also check for rust if rust is an issue for you.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some very good advice given above.....I love my manual 2002 Export CRD which while having less power than the 2.8 it also has less "nannies" monitoring everything and the EGR is extremely easy to disable without any CEL light.

Bear in mind that the LHD 2006 CRD has a known problem...although the Dealers plead ignorance....that the Fuel Filter Head mounting bracket has been re-located slightly and now has the habit of pinching a wire harness behind it which causes shorts to chassis and all sorts of problems. So if you get the 2006 CRD then loosen off the mounting bracket and have a good look at the wiring behind it to check for any chaffing and cuts in the wiring!