2006-2007- No LSD Option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that there is no Trac-Loc option for the 2006-2007 Libbys. I could find no official info about the dropping of that option starting in 2006. Does DC really feel that the traction control can replace a real LSD? Anybody have any experience with the 06-07 traction control in squirrley trail situations. Does it actually work?

I don't need a locker, but an LSD is nice to have in certain situations. This is the first vehicle I've had in a long time sans LSD of some sort.

At least I'm not frustrated that my Libby does not have it since it was not even offered, as far as I can tell.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have traction control.. LS is not an option.

The traction control works MUCH better than the LS did. O:)

It would be pointless to get a LS if you have traction control.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's better than the LSD? Anybody have any real world experience that backs that up? Maybe I'm just too old skool to appreciate technology over a good 'ol mechanical solution.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There seems to be alot of people who are pretty happy with the Traction Control System over at lostkj.com. I suppose that it's like having an electronically controlled LSD on both axles.

I'll just have to test it out this weekend!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have first hand experience. I was on a run with one kj that had only the rear LS and one had the traction control. The LS did help, but the traction control system seems to help ALOT since it can brake any wheel that spins.

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time out on the trails with my 06, I got stuck #-o I took it out of 4 lo (ESP Partially Disabled) and put it in Part Time (with full functionality of ESP) and I was able to get out! \:D/ It was really amazing watching the power go to the wheel(s) that had the most traction while the computer was braking the other wheels. Some people hate it, but I on the other hand love it! Works unbelievably well in the snow, even in the rain when you accelerate through a corner!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
That TCS is an amazing thing, however, I disable it in dry conditions. Don't forget that it works on ALL 4 WHEELS, so even when you're in the snow, it makes sure you have ALL possible traction.

From my experience..

It does not work in mud. At all. Ask MoladoGuy. Make sure you disable it if you are anywhere near mud.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ESP/traction control system does work very well, just remember that in 4WD HI range that the traction control system will cut back throttle if wheelspin is detected. If you are in mud or any situation where you would NOT want throttle to be cut back you will need to press the little ESP button to put it in partially off mode.

Personally I believe that adding a LSD to a vehicle with 4 wheel traction control would be a great match. The LSD alone would only be able to transfer so much torque to the other wheel, but with the traction control and the LSD effect the effect would be multiplied .

If I had the money I would put the Detroit Tru-trac in both the front and back of my 06 CRD. Would have excellent street manners, the closest thing to a lockers operation without having one, and fully automatic operation. Not to mention you could do the front and rear for about the same price as 1 ARB air locker.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I have first hand experience. I was on a run with one kj that had only the rear LS and one had the traction control. The LS did help, but the traction control system seems to help ALOT since it can brake any wheel that spins.

The ESP/Traction control doesn't do much. At least it didn't with moose last time we where out in Livingston. His two tires just kept spinning and spinning on on obstacle. It seems as if the wheel needed to be spinning for a good 2-3 seconds before the traction control started to kick in, which is usually enough to loose momentum and have to start over again. The KJ with the LS in the rear did better. It worked better for him in slade, last time at livingston it died and the ESP light came on, and this time it barely worked

Either way they are both better than an open diff, but not where near what a locker adds.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moose has bad mojo with his ESP

2006 Renegade 4x4, 6spd, Dark Khaki, Factory skids, Evil ESP
MODS: Skink Sliders, Frankenlift, CB, GPS, 235/85R16 Timberline MT, diff. collar
2007: RL Diff Cover & Skink Super Slider upgrade, Al's A-Arm's, Moog LBJs
2008: Better armor, Kill ESP!, RL bumpers

There is no love man LOL

I do wonder if there is something different about the ESP/ 6spd combo though. I dont think it takes 2-3 seconds for mine to kick in, but I have limited experience with it so cant say for sure.

Latest posts

Members online