2005 to 2004 Jeep Liberty full Exhaust swap over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randal Davis

Reaction score
Having a bit of a issue with the y pipe and cat`s
I removed the back end of the Exhaust with no issue`s.
Problem i am having now is removing everything from the cat`s back,

Will i need to remove the crossmember and drop the trans, in order to get the y pipe and cats out ?
I want to do this without cutting the Exhaust up and without dropping the tran`s to do it .

SO looking for tricks, tips on keep it all in tact to transplant to my 2004 Liberty

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me look 0ver the exhaust on the 04 and 05 to see what all differences there maybe
I know the 04s were tight around the rear corner of the transmission pan

Randal Davis

Reaction score
the rear of the 05 mounts to the points were needs too .. im just tryin to figure out if i need to cut the cats off, in order to get the rest out or if i need to take off the crossmember for the trans in order to get it out and try to reweld it back. if all possible id like to not cut it out from under it, adn fix it . I suck at welding ..

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a bit of a issue with the y pipe and cat`s
I removed the back end of the Exhaust with no issue`s.
Problem i am having now is removing everything from the cat`s back,

Will i need to remove the crossmember and drop the trans, in order to get the y pipe and cats out ?
I want to do this without cutting the Exhaust up and without dropping the tran`s to do it .

SO looking for tricks, tips on keep it all in tact to transplant to my 2004 Liberty

What's the point: are you trying to convert to the newer style exhaust so you can install headers???

Randal Davis

Reaction score
What's the point: are you trying to convert to the newer style exhaust so you can install headers???

doing a full on motor swap, the 04 i have has only a block and the exhaust was taken complete out of it. SO instead of buying new just using what i can from my 05 that the frame broke on it .. to get my 04 running and on the road ..
Most likely the exhaust setup on his 04 is trashed, and he wants to swap over a better condition 05 setup.

YES, now i am trying to figure out how to get the front half, Y pipe, part out from around the transmission crossmember ..

Reaction score
doing a full on motor swap, the 04 i have has only a block and the exhaust was taken complete out of it. SO instead of buying new just using what i can from my 05 that the frame broke on it .. to get my 04 running and on the road ..

YES, now i am trying to figure out how to get the front half, Y pipe, part out from around the transmission crossmember ..

Can you support the transmission with a jack and remove the crossmember? Trying to remember the layout off mental image, haven't been under my jeep in awhile.

Randal Davis

Reaction score
thanks, ill be take out the rest of the exhaust this weekend, if i can get to the upper Header bolts.. with it on the ground, wish i had a car lift would make it TONS easier ..

Randal Davis

Reaction score
Broke the frame? Very interesting?

yep, on pass side rear, right at the weld for the lower control arm Lady we got the jeep from said everything was OK. but failed to tell us the thing was in a flood in Chicago, i checked best i could during 6" of snow. we didnt end up getting 6,400 miles out of it . Bought with 98+ k on it, when it broke we are at 105K.
Now that is the one im gonna pull motor out of and implant that in to a 04 limited. with a Great under belly other than service rust on the unibody frame, and Rocker panels i will need to replace ..