2005 liberty- Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apache

Reaction score
I have 2005 liberty 3.7 108xxxx miles it’s been over heating replaced water pump and thermostat and heat gauge censor still running hot I flushed system and pressure tested 16lbs for around 40 mins no drop at all fan seems to be working correctly and heat is good Iam lost

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Overheating conditions can be avoided. Use the correct Thermostat.

Attachments

• Mopar Thermostat Bleed Hole.jpg
    Mopar Thermostat Bleed Hole.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Thermostat Diagram.jpg
    Thermostat Diagram.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Lol ok Iam sure that’s not it thanks

Bruh. Had a buddy of mine with a KJ Just like mine. He used an off brand thermostat around same time I used my MOPAR one when I was going through my coolant system.
Since him and I have both replaced them, he's replaces his with MOPAR. He was having overheating issues he kept thinking was air in the system, nope. Just a **** thermostat.
USE MOPAR

But hey, we tried to warn ya. Best of luck to you.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat agree with the above. I have had good results with non mopar and bad results too.

1) is it installed the right direction?
2) is the air bleed port up?

If yes to both. Change it. Mopar

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for me I never had overheating problems, but I had water pump leakage, so I replaced the pump, belt tensioners, and thermostat with aftermarket thermostat.
I even indexed the thermostate so the weep hole was where OEM was.
a couple days later I was towing a 5x8 trailer that weighed in around 1000 lbs loaded. the jeep overheated within around 18 miles and top of radiator split out.
yes the thermostat was installed facing the correct direction :(

this time I put new radiator (Mishimoto since OEM can't be found). new hoses and this time I put in an OEM thermostat and a new thermostat cover for the **** of it.
no problems since. I towed a 2500 lb boat this weekend and left it in OD and watched the temps, no rise at all.

so yes I also believe some aftermarket thermostats can cause problems.

Ben Ovalle

Reaction score
Only 2 things remain. Change out the thermostat to mopar and get all the air out. Getting the air out was pretty time consuming on my Ram but it would overheat until the air was burped out of the system. If you don't want to do the thermostat the last thing is a clogged radiator. If it's original is way past the life expectancy we would expect from it. Again, getting that damn air out is very important in either scenario. If those don't fix it, yikes, it's time to look for more expensive causes.

TurboRabbit

Reaction score
With ours, I had to replace the radiator, fan, and regulator. Radiator was the first thing I replaced and started running hot again which led to the fan. Fan connectors melted as the regulator was obviously bad. If the other things are right other users have posed... get a radiator to see how it goes, it's rather thin if I recall so most likely you don't have good flow OR clogged as Ben posted. IF you replace the fan one day down the road, replace the regulator at the same time to save yourself from the hassle. Review prices online to save money if you have the time to wait... rockauto has been my goto place for a while.

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound silly but is it leaking coolant externally or in the engine, contributing to higher temps? E.g. check overflow coolant reservoir after driving and see what level looks like.

Another thought was is your fan clutch engaging? Upon cold start you’ll hear a loud roar that goes away after motor warms up. If you don’t it may be bad. Not sure if that alone would cause overheating though; when mine was shot I never noticed a change in engine temps.

sumosumo

Reaction score
I have 2005 liberty 3.7 108xxxx miles it’s been over heating replaced water pump and thermostat and heat gauge censor still running hot I flushed system and pressure tested 16lbs for around 40 mins no drop at all fan seems to be working correctly and heat is good Iam lost
Did you burp the system.you might have air trapped in the coolent system.that will cause overheating it resistes the flow of coolent.that the most probable cause if you flushed and pressure tested .

sumosumo

Reaction score
Did you burp the system.you might have air trapped in the coolent system.that will cause overheating it resistes the flow of coolent.that the most probable cause if you flushed and pressure tested .
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

sumosumo

Reaction score
Chk out this vid will show you how to urge ,burp
system,good luck

mduclow

Reaction score
Just to add to what has been said here.

I understand that hearing us say "replace the thermostat with an original MOPAR!" makes most car guys groan, but it is actually a thing with these Liberty's.

Believe it or not, the dang thermostat is a big cause of issues on these if it is not a MOPAR and it MUST be installed correctly, which, by the way, is very easy for ANYONE to accidentally get it in there wrong if they are not explicitly paying attention to it when they install it.