2005 Liberty Diesel won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Dycus

Reaction score
I have a 05 Liberty factory diesel that will not start. Changed the ignition switch & module. Nothing. With key in the on position I could jump it at the starter relay and solenoid. But now it won't start by jumping it. Took it to a 5 Star jeep dealership. 6 weeks later they "tapped out". The tried a new starter, relays, ignition switch / module, key and receiver and various other things. They did they had about 60 hours in it. Of course I had them remove everything they put on that didn't fix it. Wasn't going to fix it by process of elimination....
Any thoughts? Someone once said something about a relay that would stop it from starting but I forget the name. Something like Auto Shut Down?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The ASD relay. In the power distribution box under the hood if I remember right. Swap it with a similar relay in the power distribution box to see if the relay is bad.

Broken actuator pin in the ignition can keep the ignition switch from turning. It's a skinny piece of pot metal that commonly breaks.

Dealerships have a poor track record on these engines.

LostJeeps forum has the most info on the 2.8 CRD.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it turn over but not fire?

Pump the fuel head to get air out of fuel.

Any Red LED on left of cluster flashing or ON solid?

Get codes pulled out at the Dealers or get a good code reader with some advice from the experts here on the Forum...my 2002 Export CRD has no available reader but with the newer CRDs there are a range of readers available.....we can definitely fix your Jeep if we know the latest codes!;)

If you do not have the 2005 Jeep KJ Service Manuals download them here:

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also pull codes out using the "key" trick up to and including 2005 models.;)

Without starting the engine rapidly turn the ignition ON/OFF three times.

After the third ON action leave the ignition ON and the Odometer display will show stored codes in sequence from the oldest to the newest...write them down.

The last one to display is the newest code...read that one up and the few previous ones in the Service Manuals to see what it is complaining about.:confused:

You cannot erase the codes with this method!:(

Last edited:

John Dycus

Reaction score
Turns over but will not fire. its, getting fuel. not vapor locked. Changed the ignition switch & module. Tried a new starter. Having a new total power module (fuse box under the hood) installed. Found a used one for $75. Can't hurt to try it.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns over but will not fire. its, getting fuel. not vapor locked. Changed the ignition switch & module. Tried a new starter. Having a new total power module (fuse box under the hood) installed. Found a used one for $75. Can't hurt to try it.

Have you tried the "key" trick yet to pull the latest codes out?:confused:

John Dycus

Reaction score
No. Its at a mechanics garage but when it was at the 5 star dealership, it was not showing any codes with their diagnostic equipment

John Dycus

Reaction score
Finally got the Jeep running. Two dealerships and several repair shops later, Charlie at Auto Dynamics in Knoxville TN had it running within an hour. Was a faulty connection (not sure which or where). Ran really great until yesterday while driving it, it suddenly lost 90% power, started smoking and was making a very loud high pitched "blowing" sound. Thats the best I can describe the sound. Still starts right up, idles great, shifts good but will barely go over 30 mph. Do not think it is in "limp mode". Tried the "turn the key 3 x to pull the codes", didn't work. Not sure why. Could it be a turbo issue? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Probably blew an intercooler hose. The OEM hoses rot from the inside-out due to the oil in the air coming from the crankcase vent system, (hockey puck).
Silicone replacement hoses are theway to go because they're unaffected by oil. Also check the air hose that goes from the airbox to the turbo; they rot underneath near the turbo.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely sounds like a blown Turbo hose.....I had a hose burst on me on the highway....lots of smoke and no power!:(

Here in SA the Silicone hoses are difficult to get and my Export 2.5 L has smaller diameter hoses to the newer 2.8 L models.

You can get the silicone hoses in different colors!
If you find a tear in one of the hoses you can make a temporary repair with Duct Tape!;)

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Yeah definitely sounds like a blown Turbo hose.....I had a hose burst on me on the highway....lots of smoke and no power!:(

Here in SA the Silicone hoses are difficult to get and my Export 2.5 L has smaller diameter hoses to the newer 2.8 L models.

You can get the silicone hoses in different colors!
If you find a tear in one of the hoses you can make a temporary repair with Duct Tape!;)
Some sites that sell turbohoses:
siliconeintakes.com
turbohoses.com

I don't think they sell exact replacements for our CRDs but you might be able to make them up from silicone elbows and metal tube.

John Dycus

Reaction score
Removed both inter-cooler hose. Both are fine and apparently already been replace by my father-in-law with the silicone ones. Also checked the air intake hose from the air filter for rot. It was also in great shape.

John Dycus

Reaction score
Thanks. Going to clean the mass airflow sensor now. One more thing...
With the engine off I disconnected the mass air sensor. started the jeep right up. no problem starting and idling. with it running I plugged it back in. Nothing happened. I expected it to die when I plugged it back in. While still running I unplugged it thinking it would die. nothing happened. So basically plugging it in or unplugging it made no difference. Shouldn't it have died when I unplugged it or plugged it back in?