2005 Liberty burning oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptgro

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Liberty Renegade 3.7 115K thats burning oil at about 1 quart every 1000 miles. Bought car with about 60k on it and had no issues until recently. Oil changed every 3-4k miles, pcv new, no real smoke on start up or acceleration, plugs don't show any oily residue.
Spoke to local parts guy at jeep he said kind of normal? I never thought burning oil is normal but have heard of it with some of the newer low vis oil cars.
Has anyone had any experience with this or heard of it. going to do some tests to see if it might be rings or valve guide seals but don't think so because it would normally show some type of smoke.
Any feedback would help.

also how do you post new threads to website. I actually signed up a while ago but can't find way to start new thread?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. sounds about right. im loose roughly half a quart every 1.5k miles.
blow bys or oil burning. idk.
YMMV

you just start this new thread though.

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep like defiant said pretty normal. I run different weights for different seasons. 5w30 for the winter 10w30 for the summer. A littke marvel mystery oil might help too.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try running marvel mystery oil in it. Carbon build up can cause the valves to not seal. If that doesn't work after a couple thousand miles id say the valves are not sealing good enough causing oil to leak down. Run some in the gas tank as well. I have a new engine so I don't have this problem anymore and I run full synthetic oil. Try marvel mystery oil and synthetic blend for high mileage engines. Should help some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Normal ????
I have 3 KJs on the road, at most the 04 with over 221,000 miles uses maybe 1/4 to 1/2 quart now every 3500-4000 miles, the 05 and 03 don't burn enough between changes to even worry about

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Same oil in all of the Mobil1 no difference time of year, no difference when higher mileage etc running what they call for, don't switch from different weights

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be leaking crank seals like I have. I am losing oil but don't notice any sort of smoke coming from the exhaust. Oil changed every 3-5k miles depending on oil used. No gunk in engine. You won't notice it dripping because it runs down the top of the trans and kinda rolls off somewhere in the middle of the Jeep only with wind.

Seems both my crank seals are leaking.

Latest posts

Members online