2005 KJ Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm...well, so far I've not had any probs placing the trans in Park, but then, I've only got 1500 miles on ol' Stormy 8-[

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. My mom has an '05 and I just e-mailed her the link to the story and suggested she take hers in and have it checked.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a plug inside the transmission may be missing or improperly staked, ... will repair the transmission by installing a bracket

Does anyone know how to explain this in detail? I can't quite get the picture. :-k

The reason is because I'd rather have my Libby fixed at a local garage if it's a simple fix and I'd have to explain it to the mechanic somehow.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange... Who can we believe? Who can we trust? :-s

Thank you for your recent email to DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation.

Records indicate this vehicle is not involved in any outstanding factory recalls. If your vehicle is involved in any future recalls, a notice will be sent to your postal address. Please contact us with any future changes of address.

You can also access the self-service recall site on the internet to check on your vehicle's involvement in any/all recalls that are published. Simply go to one of our brand sites: www.chrysler.com; www.dodge.com or www.jeep.com and click on "For Owners" and then "Recall Notices" and follow the instructions on the pop up recall page. You will need the last eight digits of your Vehicle Identification Number
(VIN).

Thank you again for your email.

Sincerely,

K*****
Senior Staff Representative
DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center

2003KJ

Reaction score
hmmmm. I do believe thats an automated message based upon your VIN number. I also believe owner notification hasn't begun yet for the recall. But I read it on several valid sites (yahoo, MSN, CNN).

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
a plug inside the transmission may be missing or improperly staked, ... will repair the transmission by installing a bracket

Does anyone know how to explain this in detail? I can't quite get the picture. :-k

The reason is because I'd rather have my Libby fixed at a local garage if it's a simple fix and I'd have to explain it to the mechanic somehow.

hmm. free work at dealership or pay my mechanic. Which would I do?

I'd so do the free work, bro, plus they have THE part with which to fix the thing.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm. free work at dealership or pay my mechanic. Which would I do?

I'd so do the free work, bro, plus they have THE part with which to fix the thing.

If I were home, stateside, I'd definitely go to the dealer for the free service. I have not gone insane...yet. drunk.gif

Over here I have to go through agents and paperwork to get warranty service; I can't deal with the local DaimlerChrysler directly. When the KJ reaches the local service center, they have to hold my KJ until it is repaired. I can't budge in between and say, "Gimme my Jeep. I'll come back when you get the parts". Local Chrysler dealers aren't even aware of this recall; therefore, most likely no part(s) available.

I'm trying to compare the cost to get fixed to how much public transportation would be for the days it is "being serviced". Let's say it is gone for two weeks (since ordered parts usually arrive from the states in 7-10 business days)...that's $100 worth of public transportation alone ($10/day, 5 working days a week). Plus, the days with no ride also means a lot of walking, too, ...from home to the bus stop, to the subway station, to the military installation gate, to my unit. That's an extra hour of commuting.

So if a local garage would charge me a little extra (over my transit fees & major inconveniences) and fix it within a couple hours (or even a day) by some means, I'd be glad to pay it. Many do that here because car service is really competitive and cheap. It's like being stranded in a hot desert. I'd rather pay $6.00 for an ice cold bottle of water in front of me than walk five miles for a $3.00 one.

Plus, how can I be without my precious KJ for so long? :-({|=

That's why I'm trying to collect more info on this and to check on possbilities.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had checked for recall notices about a month ago on the Jeep website, and was told there were no recalls for my vehicle at that time. Checked yesterday and lo and behold the E14 recall (trans. pawl brkt.) was listed. Was able to get vehicle in today (they had the brkt. in stock) and got it back in about 3 hrs. It's probably a good thing to check every so often on the website for current recall info. Still haven't recieved snail-mail from Chrysler informing me of a recall. Hmmmm..........

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder! #-o I've been checking every week since the beginning of October and got tired of it...checked it now and the notice was dated 11/23/05.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had mine done yesterday, the transmission pan has to be removed, the valve body also needs to come out, fiddle with a few other things, refill with 1 gallon of fluid, the TSB states like 1.8 hours, dealer told me it takes 3 times as long.
Now I am watching for leaks and also checking fluid level, just don't trust work done at the dealer
Bob

2003KJ

Reaction score
if you're dealer is a good one, they'll fill it back up with NEW fluid, rather than dumping the old stuff back in there.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recall repair procedure calls for fluid from a sealed container, but who knows for sure what a dealer will do

Bob

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked for leaks this A.M. and all is well. The work order listed the installation of the brkt., some rtv sealant, and 1 gal. of (new) transmission fluid. =D>

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, finally got the recall notice from the mothership yesterday. Glad I already addressed the issue a few weeks ago. Anyone else get their recall letter?

coastgardsman

Reaction score
recall

Got the letter about a month ago. Had it serviced last week. Took all day for them to finish it up. Got some new fluid though (welll thats what they said)

Latest posts

Members online