2005 Jeep KJ Key on a 2004

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braden Thomas

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty and I was going to ask can you use a 2005 Jeep Liberty Key on a 2004? The 2005 is connected key and remote and the 2004 separated.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually like having the ignition key and the Fob separate.

You could get new keys cut by the Dealers or some key shops.
The existing SKEES code would have to be programmed into the new chips inside the new keys.

The Remote Key Entry (RKE) unit would also have to be re-programmed into the new keys.

On the older KJS the RKE is plugged on the exterior of the BCM which is on the rear of the internal fuse panel....looks like a small pack of cigarrettes. The 2006 KJ has the RKE inside the BCM.
Maybe the Dealers can simply code a new integral fob key and RKE to match the existing SKEES code in the PCM.

The battery inside the separate Fob or inside the integral key/fob is purely there for the RKE ie. to open/close the doors...has no effect on the SKEES at all.

You cannot program your existing integral key/fob from the 2005 to work on your 2004 KJ. This is because the SKEES code of the chipped key has to be programmed into the PCM...no problem...but the SKEES code also has to be programmed into the SKIM module which sits on top of the steering column and has a wire loop surrounding the key slot to read the code off the chip.

The SKIM module sends this code to the PCM..... if the SKIM Module is happy with the code, which will allow you to start the engine if the codes match the code in the PCM.

The problem is that according to the Jeep Service Manuals the SKIM module can only be programmed ONCE. So if you want to re-program the SKIM module you have to purchase a virgin SKIM module from the Dealers and they have to program the required code into this new SKIM module.

Another way of doing this would be to obtain a set of chipped keys, a matching PCM and a matching SKIM module from a breaker yard ie. all from the same vehicle and use all three of these units on the 2004 KJ of yours. The Dealers would have to program your VIN, mileage and other parameters into the New PCM....PCMs from different year models will probably be different Part Numbers in any case.

Seems like a lot of work!o_O

Last edited:

Braden Thomas

Reaction score
I actually like having the ignition key and the Fob separate.

You could get new keys cut by the Dealers or some key shops.
The existing SKEES code would have to be programmed into the new chips inside the new keys.

The Remote Key Entry (RKE) unit would also have to be re-programmed into the new keys.

On the older KJS the RKE is plugged on the exterior of the BCM which is on the rear of the internal fuse panel....looks like a small pack of cigarrettes. The 2006 KJ has the RKE inside the BCM.

Likewise I believe you would need the Dealers to do the programming of the RKE. I have seen some posts where this procedure seemed to be fraught with problems!

The battery inside the separate Fob or inside the integral key/fob is purely there for the RKE ie. to open/close the doors...has no effect on the SKEES at all.

You cannot program your existing integral key/fob from the 2005 to work on your 2004 KJ. This is because the SKEES code of the chipped key has to be programmed into the PCM...no problem...but the SKEES code also has to be programmed into the SKIM module which sits on top of the steering column and has a wire loop surrounding the key slot to read the code off the chip.

The SKIM module sends this code to the PCM..... if the SKIM Module is happy with the code, which will allow you to start the engine if the codes match the code in the PCM.

The problem is that according to the Jeep Service Manuals the SKIM module can only be programmed ONCE. So if you want to re-program the SKIM module you have to purchase a virgin SKIM module from the Dealers and they have to program the required code into this new SKIM module.

Another way of doing this would be to obtain a set of chipped keys, a matching PCM and a matching SKIM module from a breaker yard ie. all from the same vehicle and use all three of these units on the 2004 KJ of yours. The Dealers would have to program your VIN, mileage and other parameters into the New PCM.

Seems like a lot of work!o_O
Yeah I will just keep the keys I have.

Latest posts

Members online