2005 CRD wont Start....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agoodone

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2005 CRD through a local auction. I was told by the owner that he drove it to the auction but now it will not start. The battery went dead while it was sitting at the action, but we jumped it and there is no start. The dash lights up, but when you turn the key, nothing happens....like the starter or the starter relay is not working....no clicking, nothing.......is this a common issue with these cars? Can someone give me some things to try....its still sitting at the auction, I dont really want to pay for a tow truck.

Thanks

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2005 CRD through a local auction. I was told by the owner that he drove it to the auction but now it will not start. The battery went dead while it was sitting at the action, but we jumped it and there is no start. The dash lights up, but when you turn the key, nothing happens....like the starter or the starter relay is not working....no clicking, nothing.......is this a common issue with these cars? Can someone give me some things to try....its still sitting at the auction, I dont really want to pay for a tow truck.

Thanks

The first thing is to be sure that you have a good battery, the battery connections are clean and tight, the negative lead going to chassis is clean and tight and the grounding strap from the engine to chassis is clean and tight both ends.

Then try start it in "Neutral" instead of "Park"...the Neutral sensor on the transmission may be faulty.

Then swap over the Starter Relay with an identical one next to it inside the relay/fuse box under the hood and see if it starts.

Then pull out the Starter Relay...there is Decal identifying its position. Inside the relay socket identify which female pins are marked as 30 and 87. With the Jeep in Neutral or Park so you do not run yourself over...jumper socket pins 30 and 87 together briefly with a short piece of wire or paper clip.

Provided Fuse 8 (40 A) under the hood is OK...the engine should turn over and start if the ignition has been turned ON.

If this works then you should be able to drive the Jeep home...the next step is to get access to the ignition switch...there is a common problem of the Actuator Pin Assembly that turns the ignition switch when you turn the key...breaks off. It at first starts to break but is able to turn the cluster lights ON but does not have the strength to activate the last spring-loaded section of the Start position...you usually do not feel this spring action if the pin has broken. If this is the problem you can post back here or search the Jeep forums for "actuator Pin" to find out how to replace it and where to get a new assembly...Dealers do not have it listed.:shrug:

agoodone

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am going to pick it up tomorrow, I will try these things. Ill let you know what happens.

Wozzi Humperdink

Reaction score
My 06 liberty just started having a similar problem this morning. I got on the hyway and was still in the process of accelerating when the engine cut out. I didn't notice any abnormal engine noise when it died. But I put it in neutral and tried to restart it and it won't crank now. When I turn the key to start, it acts as if it's disconnecting the battery (gauge lights, interior lights and headlights all shut off) and there is a single quiet click, like a relay. I don't think it's a starter issue, since it cut off while I was driving, but could it be a similar issue?

I should also say that recently it started having a low boost problem that I haven't been able to diagnose yet. This started about a month ago. Any suggestions?

agoodone

Reaction score
The first thing is to be sure that you have a good battery, the battery connections are clean and tight, the negative lead going to chassis is clean and tight and the grounding strap from the engine to chassis is clean and tight both ends.

Then try start it in "Neutral" instead of "Park"...the Neutral sensor on the transmission may be faulty.

Then swap over the Starter Relay with an identical one next to it inside the relay/fuse box under the hood and see if it starts.

Then pull out the Starter Relay...there is Decal identifying its position. Inside the relay socket identify which female pins are marked as 30 and 87. With the Jeep in Neutral or Park so you do not run yourself over...jumper socket pins 30 and 87 together briefly with a short piece of wire or paper clip.

Provided Fuse 8 (40 A) under the hood is OK...the engine should turn over and start if the ignition has been turned ON.

If this works then you should be able to drive the Jeep home...the next step is to get access to the ignition switch...there is a common problem of the Actuator Pin Assembly that turns the ignition switch when you turn the key...breaks off. It at first starts to break but is able to turn the cluster lights ON but does not have the strength to activate the last spring-loaded section of the Start position...you usually do not feel this spring action if the pin has broken. If this is the problem you can post back here or search the Jeep forums for "actuator Pin" to find out how to replace it and where to get a new assembly...Dealers do not have it listed.:shrug:

Here's what I got. I can spin the starter by bypassing the starter relay....but it will not fire. I noticed a red light on the dash next to the fuel gauge. Research tells me this has something to do with the Sentry Key system. The light comes on, goes off for a second, then comes back on steady and stays on. Further research seem to suggest that if the sentry key system was not working that it would allow the engine to start but only run for a few seconds....is that correct? I was going to replace the PIN, but I think I need to clear up this sentry key problem 1st. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.