2005 crd thermostat upgrade?

Synthetic-oils

Reaction score
Check out my Feb 7, 2020 post #57 on the "Exasperated KJ owner!....." thread. I posted drawings for modifying the oem thermostat housing to accept normal thermostats. There's lathework and welding involved.

Turbo-diesel-freak's thermostat is the best way to go. If you have one ordered it'll eventually show up. I thought mine wasn't ever going to show but it did.

Last edited:

Synthetic-oils

Reaction score
That is what I'm doing. What did you do with yours? I need one to scan and make a CAD file.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I believe I took it apart and tossed it in a box. I have another on my parts jeep to work on but it's keeping the engine buttoned up and a low priority so, project comfortably stalled. I'll take a look around for it.

The drawings and writeup came from a member on LOST. I claim no credit for the good work involved.

Synthetic-oils

Reaction score
I believe I took it apart and tossed it in a box. I have another on my parts jeep to work on but it's keeping the engine buttoned up and a low priority so, project comfortably stalled. I'll take a look around for it.

The drawings and writeup came from a member on LOST. I claim no credit for the good work involved.
Cool. Thanks

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Found it, want it?

What I did was cut the crimped area off and smooth the surfaces with a file. The two halves seal with an o-ring and have internal clocking tabs.

Mine never made heat at idle. The viscous heater is useless. I've installed TurboDieselFreak's thermostat but I haven't fired my jeep up in over a decade due to health, disinterest, and higher priorities. More mods to do before it hits the road but I'm expecting real heat when it does.

Synthetic-oils

Reaction score
Sure. Haven't used this forum much and guess I'm having a senior moment as I haven't figured out how to PM you.