2005 crd thermostat upgrade?

MiloHunter

Reaction score
Any ideas on running a 190 degree thermostat? Mines crapping out and am looking for good replacement. Thanks in advance for any input.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
I'd recommend using the Mopar replacement thermostat only & it's part # 05142601AA. (hopefully it's still available?)
Gasket is: 05066806AA
The 05 CRD thermostat & complete parts fiche/ diagrams is here from page 90: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/05kj_PARTS_FICHE.pdf
I'll move this to the CRD section.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Look into TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK's aftermarket thermostat housing which allows thermostats to be swapped without buying the $150 oem thermostat housing. There's also a modification to the original housing that needs a couple of turned parts and some welding.

I don't remember what temp thermostat works best for the CRD but 190 seems low.

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running both of my CRD's with the 203 deg.f thermostats supplied with the HDS 001 aftermarket housings. One of them has over 120000 miles with that in it. Works great from sub-zero to 100 plus temps. You can also eliminate the stupid viscous heater when you utilize the higher temperature.

MiloHunter

Reaction score
I have been running both of my CRD's with the 203 deg.f thermostats supplied with the HDS 001 aftermarket housings. One of them has over 120000 miles with that in it. Works great from sub-zero to 100 plus temps. You can also eliminate the stupid viscous heater when you utilize the higher temperature.
Where can I get one?

MiloHunter

Reaction score
Look into TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK's aftermarket thermostat housing which allows thermostats to be swapped without buying the $150 oem thermostat housing. There's also a modification to the original housing that needs a couple of turned parts and some welding.

I don't remember what temp thermostat works best for the CRD but 190 seems low.
Thanks for the info!

JMichael2006

Reaction score
The thermostat on my 06 CRD failed at 85K, but failed open so I installed a 192+ from a 1983 Renault Alliance. They go inside the upper hose and still working perfectly at 240K. I removed the OEM units guts when I replaced the timing belt (2nd) at 100K. I will go with TDF's unit next belt go-round because I plan on doing a bunch of other upgrades.

MiloHunter

Reaction score
Where do I contact this company?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK is on LOSTJEEPS forum mostly but he's here as well so try giving him a PM or email.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.