2005 crd motor stuck, need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peter8435

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the Jeep liberty.
just picked up a 2005 CRD diesel liberty, got it from the original owner, 150,000 miles, overall excellent condition, all the options you could get.
they had all the recalls done, new torque converter E.T.C
the story is as follows
she was driving, motor chugged and quit, coasted to a stop and motor would not turn over, her son told her it was "hyperlocked" I think he meant hydrostatic lock up. got it for $2000 thinking I could part it out for more but it is so nice and looks like it would be a blast to drive.
charged the battery and the starter engages and it looks like the motor moves ever so slightly (could be me wishfull thinking)
what could I check first?
the oil looked ok, no antifreeze.

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broken timing belt. Pistons contacted valves and the story goes on.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broken timing belt. Pistons contacted valves and the story goes on.

Bingo, we have a winner. That's my theory as well.

I don't know the repair cost in that scenario... but on other engines, if the combustion chamber isn't chewed to pieces from... well... pieces, then it's new valves and related parts, possibly new pistons if they are destroyed, otherwise, dings cleaned up and after the rebuilt head goes on, new timing belt/water pump, etc and off you go.

Still going to be a few thousand by most guesses.

peter8435

Reaction score
well took the front of the jeep off, got down to the timing belt and everything looks perfect, the belt and pullys and water pump were replaced 30,000 miles ago and look it. I took the belt off and the cam's turn but the motor only turns about 20 deg's either way. going to pull off cover/cam assembly as I don't know where else to look.
what would stop the motor from turning? if the cams turn its not hitting the valves ...right?

any ideas?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Some of them drop a valve so a loose valve head can stop the crank and leave the cams free to turn.

The pins on the rocker-lifters can wear and break sending extra pieces around. Sometimes they get to the counter-balancers and bottom end causing jams. Might want to replace the rockers, delete the EGR, and stop running 0W?? oil. Euro spec is 5W40.

Possibilities are endless. Pulling glow plugs can show which cylinder kaputted and the injectors can as well. Ceramic glow plugs should be replaced before the tips break and start chasing the valves around, another possibility. Pull the output hose on the turbo and feel for endplay and vane damage.

LOST Jeeps has the mostest and bestest info on CRDs.

Many variations of the same sad story.

Last edited:

peter8435

Reaction score
well, the head is off. dropped a valve, number 3 cyl. destroyed the head, piston and liner (and most likely the block)
anyone know where I can get a good engine?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Bummer!

Does the crank go around now? How bad is the piston?

Check the junkyards and the rustbelt?