2004 Renegade "The Green Monster".

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got around to installing my Tom Mudd 3.5" Econo lift from JBA, it's been sitting in my garage for about 10 months :shrug:.So after 3 days, ran into a few issues that set me back as the old parts were all OEM and rusted nuts and bolts. I used a lot of PB Blast. I finally completed the project. Had to take the springs and struts to a local shop for assembly and pickup a tool I misplaced :favorites68:. I can tell a big difference in the ride and handling, much better :gr_grin:. So after a roughly 12 mile ride I took measurements. She's sitting at the following: DF=22", PF=22.25", DR=22.25", PR=22.5". Still need to take it in for an alignment.

Don't know how you sat on the lift for 10 months - a KJ toy shows up from UPS and I can't wait 10 minutes :happy175:

I'm jealous you have the original light bar covers - those babies are hard to find these days :waytogo:

Bob

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know how you sat on the lift for 10 months - a KJ toy shows up from UPS and I can't wait 10 minutes :happy175:

I'm jealous you have the original light bar covers - those babies are hard to find these days :waytogo:

Bob
Well up until June of this year I was working 7 days a week for the past 10.5 years so projects can take some time. Also, my garage has been more of a storage unit than shop so that didn't help much. Really ***** when you've taking the time to install shop air and proper electric and have no room to walk around let alone work :thumbsdown:.

I was lucky I guess with the light covers. I'm chalking it up to the fact that this was a one owner Libby and the original owner had the dealer do all of the maintenance according to the Carfax. I don't even think he ever took it off-road.

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got around to getting my PML aluminum transmission pan and Autometer transmission temp gauge hooked up today. Also changed the filter while I had it apart. Fluid was a nice pink-purple and smelled normal and no metal in the stock pan, I was actually surprised since the libby has 153912 miles on it. Took it out for a test drive and it's at 180 degrees in 91 degree air temp. I'll get to see next week how it does off-road during the trail ride.

Attachments

• IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 49

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice!! :waytogo:

Let us know how the trans temps settle in. Would love to get one of those PML pans - still haven't determined if it will fit between my JBA trans skid...

Bob

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Let us know how the trans temps settle in. Would love to get one of those PML pans - still haven't determined if it will fit between my JBA trans skid...

Bob
I sure will Bob. I have a Mopar trans skid plate that I'm going to see if it will fit. The bottom of the pan sits slightly above the cross-members so I think it will fit. My only concern is will the skid have a side affect of trapping heat from the exhaust cross pipe :flame:. The pipe is within inches of the back of the pan. If it does then I will end up installing an aux cooler.

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure will Bob. I have a Mopar trans skid plate that I'm going to see if it will fit. The bottom of the pan sits slightly above the cross-members so I think it will fit. My only concern is will the skid have a side affect of trapping heat from the exhaust cross pipe :flame:. The pipe is within inches of the back of the pan. If it does then I will end up installing an aux cooler.

I have both(PML and the 4X Guard Trans. skid). It fits.

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been very busy with work and home projects so just getting around to some updates. Here are a few picks from the 23rd annual trail ride, have a few more in an album. The Libby did better than I expected on the trip and guys with 38"-44" tires on rigs were shocked how well it did with open diffs and all-season tires. Ran the tires at 22lbs so as to not break a bead seal. No pictures of her in action since I don't have a GoPro but will have one for next year.

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 41

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been very busy with work and home projects so just getting around to some updates. Here are a few picks from the 23rd annual trail ride, have a few more in an album. The Libby did better than I expected on the trip and guys with 38"-44" tires on rigs were shocked how well it did with open diffs and all-season tires. Ran the tires at 22lbs so as to not break a bead seal. No pictures of her in action since I don't have a GoPro but will have one for next year.

Yeah, the KJ is more capable/fun that you realize until you drive one off-road.

Nice KJ.

Dave

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the KJ is more capable/fun that you realize until you drive one off-road.

Nice KJ.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I had to pick my lines carefully in the areas where the entire trail was literally nothing but rocks and small/medium boulders. My old trail rig was a 88 4Runner that was purpose built for rock crawling. Had to sell it during one of my moves as the new place was in a HOA.

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob
TwoBobs,
The PML pan helped but I will be adding an aux cooler also as in some of the harder areas of the trail the trans temp got up to 220 degrees. No air flow at times due to the very slow crawl speed. It would cool down fast though when we stopped to watch each rig go through tough areas.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
TwoBobs,
The PML pan helped but I will be adding an aux cooler also as in some of the harder areas of the trail the trans temp got up to 220 degrees. No air flow at times due to the very slow crawl speed. It would cool down fast though when we stopped to watch each rig go through tough areas.

I've never had any issues with over heating simply due to the fact you are crawling for a while, then stopped for others. Always cools down enough that it never hurt the trans any .
Now pulling big loads in the enclosed trailer through the mountains, I just pull over every now and again to check it

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had any issues with over heating simply due to the fact you are crawling for a while, then stopped for others. Always cools down enough that it never hurt the trans any .
Now pulling big loads in the enclosed trailer through the mountains, I just pull over every now and again to check it
Thanks Tom. Guess I'm just being over cautious since some have had issues with heat and the 42RLE while off-road.

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random picture from this years annual trail ride.

Attachments

• 0916161623 (2).jpg
    0916161623 (2).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 31

JimsRadJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice car! Love the rear cargo shelf. I'm going to make something similar using the same mounting points. Thanks for the idea!
Also, how is your winch mounted? Do you think a nudge bar would still fit with that set up?