2004 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my 2004 Liberty. I was told by the dealer it has a 2 inch lift . It came with Bridgestone 265/75 R16 tires, but I'm looking to go down to 245/75 R16 tires sometime.

I had the oil changed, transmission filter and fluid changed along with new pan gasket, and new NGK plugs installed. So, now here's where either my paranoia is kicking in or I'm babying my Jeep too much.

My wife and I went shopping yesterday. We had to turn around because we missed our turn. I turned into a parking lot on a bit of an incline and as I lightly pressed the accelerator the Jeep slowly rolled to a stop. As I gradually gave it more throttle it finally kicked down and went up the hill. Coming home I had a similar experience on the hill I climb to get to our house. I turned left from the light after it turned green and again applied light pressure to accelerator and gradually added pressure. The Jeep kicked down and took off up the hill. I was able to look at the RPM's this time and it was 2500 and climbing. I try not to "drive it like I stole it" and I'm thinking maybe I'm being too easy? Any thoughts? By the way, the transmission fluid I put back in was Valvoline ATF-4 synthetic. Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 21

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't trust anything but genuine mopar ATF+4 everything else give you grief

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's my 2004 Liberty. I was told by the dealer it has a 2 inch lift . It came with Bridgestone 265/75 R16 tires, but I'm looking to go down to 245/75 R16 tires sometime.

I had the oil changed, transmission filter and fluid changed along with new pan gasket, and new NGK plugs installed. So, now here's where either my paranoia is kicking in or I'm babying my Jeep too much.

My wife and I went shopping yesterday. We had to turn around because we missed our turn. I turned into a parking lot on a bit of an incline and as I lightly pressed the accelerator the Jeep slowly rolled to a stop. As I gradually gave it more throttle it finally kicked down and went up the hill. Coming home I had a similar experience on the hill I climb to get to our house. I turned left from the light after it turned green and again applied light pressure to accelerator and gradually added pressure. The Jeep kicked down and took off up the hill. I was able to look at the RPM's this time and it was 2500 and climbing. I try not to "drive it like I stole it" and I'm thinking maybe I'm being too easy? Any thoughts? By the way, the transmission fluid I put back in was Valvoline ATF-4 synthetic. Thanks for all your help!

First welcome
second what part of Ohio
Third no way you could run 265-75-16s on a two inch lift, need pictures of what you have as far as springs etc
How many miles etc, not quite sure what the issue is with climbing the hills but you do have to give these a bit more especially if you have 265-75-16s and stock gearing, it would run like a dog.
I bought a 04 brand new and drove it 221,000 miles. Ran 265-75-16 on a 4 inch lift. Ran a week with stock gearing before I went to 4.10s, it was terrible the way it ran. Complete dog

By the way measure from middle of the wheel/hub to bottom of the flare , stock would of been 19 inches, see what you have

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in McConnelsville. It's about 30 minutes from Zanesville. I tried measuring and I may have to find a flat spot to park and try again. I got 23 inches on the driver's back and 21 inches on the driver's front. Passenger side was 21 inches in the back then I noticed my driveway was causing it to lean.

The Jeep has 143,*** miles on it. Had 142,000 and some change when I bought it last month.

I drove it today and I've come to the conclusion that I've been babying the Jeep too much. Also, the bigger tires are also affecting it I believe. In my defense I went from a 1994 Honda Accord that you could stand on the accelerator and still get 26 miles to the gallon to the Jeep! May the little Honda rest in peace. 258,*** miles.

Anyways, I want to go with a 245/75 R16 because I'm 99% positive it has the stock gearing. Also, I'm tired of the embarrassing rubbing sound trying to park at full lock and, although I got 15.8 miles per gallon last tank of fuel, I'd like to think my fuel economy could go up just a hair.

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, unless my tape is off I swear I've got 21 inches front and back. Also, I swear I've got Bridgestone Dueler APT III LT265/75 R16 tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, unless my tape is off I swear I've got 21 inches front and back. Also, I swear I've got Bridgestone Dueler APT III LT265/75 R16 tires.

So you have 2 inches of lift and 32s , yes has to be rubbing :Insane:
Should have 4 inches of lift to run them.
With over 4 inches of lift, 32s and 4.10s my 04 got 21-22 on the highway easy

Love Malta - McConnelsville area grew up east of you, lived in Marietta , Lancaster , Cambridge so lot of time spent through there . Used to be a little bar we always hit off to the right of the old bridge , Malta side when we were out riding
Anyways even with 245-75-16s you'll have some rub at 21 inches .
Lets see what kind of lift you have and maybe able to find a way to get it up a little more

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small world! I was born and raised in Marietta. Graduated in '97. I check again and 3 tires are at 21 inches but the back passenger is at 22. Driver's side control arm ball joint is bad and I was told the control arm in the rear was bad too. I'll have to get under and snap a few pics.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Small world! I was born and raised in Marietta. Graduated in '97. I check again and 3 tires are at 21 inches but the back passenger is at 22. Driver's side control arm ball joint is bad and I was told the control arm in the rear was bad too. I'll have to get under and snap a few pics.

Rear tri-link only go Mopar, more money but last way longer. The cheaper ones are only good for a few months

My niece and nephew went to Marietta, but I think would of been out by them.
I lived there 90-98, Oak Grove area

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a bad TPS cause ****** shift issues? I just got a P0122 code this evening. Jeep wouldn't shift until like 3,000-4,000 RPM and would jerk when coming to a stop. I hit the O/D button off then back on and it went to "normal". I also have a P0137 code, but I wouldn't think it would affect the Jeep?

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, the transmission fluid I put back in was Valvoline ATF-4 synthetic.
You mean atf+4 right? Didn't they stop making atf-4 awhile back?
I agree with Tog on the Mopar atf+4, but any atf+4 synthetic should be fine.. and I do religiously use valvoline products, so I'm not going to say there's no way it's equivalent to Mopar atf+4.
But it's in there now eh, so..

Also i believe a bad TPS could cause shifting issues, but tends to rear it's ugly head in idling problems.. I'd remove the IAC and TPS from the throttle body and clean inside of them thoroughly with carb cleaner/throttle body cleaner as well as cleaning out the inside of the throttle body with a toothbrush and carb cleaner.. But don't go crazy on the amount you spray into the TB. Just spray, clean, wipe away. Easiest to use q-tips inside the IAC and TPS openings.
But if your TPS is bad, I'd go with a Mopar replacement, as well as the cleaning. I believe the p0122 is for low voltage to the TPS though isn't it? Perhaps check the wiring to it as well.
As for the p0137, that's low voltage to an o2 sensor, and definitely would affect your jeep. It will cause a lean or rich condition in your fuel delivery, as well as including the possibility of a clogged cat/cats if not attended to.. if it decides to run rich, your cats will clog from unburnt fuel and carbon buildup.. which if it makes it through the cat will typically run down the muffler as well. If it runs lean..well.. your gunna have some issues there as well.
So you'll be wasting gas and clogging exhaust components, which affects your jeep..
Check the wiring to the o2 sensor first, as well as making sure there's no oil dripping down onto it from a leaky valve cover(exactly how I killed my o2 sensors then cats).
If neither of those show issue, check the voltage on the wiring to the o2 sensor.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Dayspring. Looks like you are already getting help and bumped into some of your local guys too....awesome.

Dave

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I did use ATF+4 synthetic.

I'll check the TPS today. Hopefully it's just a bad connection. Thanks for all the info, guys. It is greatly appreciated.

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on my Jeep. I replaced the TPS with a genuine Mopar TPS about a week ago and the Jeep has never ran as good as it does now. My best MPG has been 18. I'm still looking to replace the tires in the spring. With my lift measurement being 21 inches from middle of hub to bottom fender flare, what is the biggest tire I can put on my Jeep? I was going to go with 245/75 R16 but I was told they'll rub too.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on my Jeep. I replaced the TPS with a genuine Mopar TPS about a week ago and the Jeep has never ran as good as it does now. My best MPG has been 18. I'm still looking to replace the tires in the spring. With my lift measurement being 21 inches from middle of hub to bottom fender flare, what is the biggest tire I can put on my Jeep? I was going to go with 245/75 R16 but I was told they'll rub too.

Good to hear your problems worked out!! And they should fit fine, if there's rubbing, nothing you can't work out with a heat gun on the fender liners, but you may have to pound the pinch weld over.
If you look through the Lift Kit Discussion section, you'll find ALOT of helpful info on the subject.
But if you can't find it, hopefully Tom will jump in here shortly. If you spend any time at all on this site in the future you'll come to see him as the KJ lift/tires guru

Latest posts

Members online