2004 Liberty misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cpdyer08

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new to the forum. Having issues with my 2004 Liberty. I have a 2004 Liberty with the 3.7, and I’m getting the P0305 misfire code. It idles rough but runs fine at higher RPM. I bought a scanner that reads live data, and the bank 1 fuel trims seem pretty off. STFT at idle is around -6% and LTFT bank 1 is around -10.5% at idle. Bank 2 seems much better with both being roughly the same pretty close to zero. After a short ride, the pending 305 code comes up and the trims are even worse on bank 1, STFT at -10.8% and LTFT at -18.8%at idle. While driving the bank 1 trims are much much better, it’s just at idle they are bad. I know this means the computer is leaning out the bank, the scan tool also gives me a little red flashing circle that says EVA on it for the evap. Is it possible that there is a vacuum leak in the evap system somewhere, or could it be more of a fuel related thing since it’s only one bank? This thing has a lot of new parts on it and I don’t just want to keep replacing things that have no effect on it. Also the compression on bank 1 is 145,150,150. Thanks in advance

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
P0305 = Cylinder #5 misfiring. Start with the basics.
Do you have the correct spark plugs in the Jeep?
NGK- ZFR6F-11G are the correct plugs only & gap .040 inch. Many issues can be fixed with correct plugs.
^Spark plugs should be replaced every 35k miles.
Clean the IAC and port, carbon build up and effects idle etc.
Coil packs, Mopar is best & are wires to coils connected properly?
Using a Fuel pressure gauge, what are the readings from the shrader valve at fuel rail?
Key on psi reading is? Running psi? Leak down reading after 15 min engine off?
Evap-spray throttle body cleaner around any suspected lines/ intake does rpm change?
Next may be # 5 injector issue?

Cpdyer08

Reaction score
P0305 = Cylinder #5 misfiring. Start with the basics.
Do you have the correct spark plugs in the Jeep?
NGK- ZFR6F-11G are the correct plugs only & gap .040 inch. Many issues can be fixed with correct plugs.
^Spark plugs should be replaced every 35k miles.
Clean the IAC and port, carbon build up and effects idle etc.
Coil packs, Mopar is best & are wires to coils connected properly?
Using a Fuel pressure gauge, what are the readings from the shrader valve at fuel rail?
Key on psi reading is? Running psi? Leak down reading after 15 min engine off?
Evap-spray throttle body cleaner around any suspected lines/ intake does rpm change?
Next may be # 5 injector issue?
Thanks for the reply. The Jeep has new coils, new champion copper plugs which have always been run in it gapped @.040 new cam sensor, crank sensor, swapped injectors around. Fuel pressure is good and steady. I did not do a leak down. I am going to replace the IAC because it looks pretty ******, I also cleaned the port. I have smoke tested the cylinder in question and also the vac lines and intake and found no leaks. I’m beginning to wonder if I have a valve issue, it’s weird because the problem it as idle, otherwise it runs fine and has plenty of power.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The Jeep has new coils, new champion copper plugs which have always been run in it gapped @.040 new cam sensor, crank sensor, swapped injectors around. Fuel pressure is good and steady. I did not do a leak down. I am going to replace the IAC because it looks pretty ******, I also cleaned the port. I have smoke tested the cylinder in question and also the vac lines and intake and found no leaks. I’m beginning to wonder if I have a valve issue, it’s weird because the problem it as idle, otherwise it runs fine and has plenty of power.

I would first follow the advice given as regards fitting the correct NGKs gapped properly. Champion is a respected make but I have seen so many posts on all the Jeep Forums about this problem with the Gassers that get resolved by fitting the NGKs!;)

Latest posts

Members online