2004 3.7L timing not correct?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ovurtyme

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my 2004 liberty 3.7L. I installed new pistons had heads cleaned and inspected. valves and seats lapped they machined heads but went to 4.580-4.584. (Low to minimum). After installing heads and new timing set I tried to rotate crankshaft manually to verify smooth operation an found that I could only go about 45 degrees before intake valve contacted #1 piston. Then rotated back counter clockwise and intake valve is contacting #2 piston. I have set all timing marks EXACTLY AS MANUAL INSTRUCTS, right and left cams with v6 marks at12:00, idler gear mark at 12:00 and crankshaft gear mark at 6:00. All marks on new chains are correctly located. WHAT'S GOING ON HERE??? I am baffled! Any thoughts?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am rebuilding my 2004 liberty 3.7L. I installed new pistons had heads cleaned and inspected. valves and seats lapped they machined heads but went to 4.580-4.584. (Low to minimum). After installing heads and new timing set I tried to rotate crankshaft manually to verify smooth operation an found that I could only go about 45 degrees before intake valve contacted #1 piston. Then rotated back counter clockwise and intake valve is contacting #2 piston. I have set all timing marks EXACTLY AS MANUAL INSTRUCTS, right and left cams with v6 marks at12:00, idler gear mark at 12:00 and crankshaft gear mark at 6:00. All marks on new chains are correctly located. WHAT'S GOING ON HERE??? I am baffled! Any thoughts?

The crankshaft mark is actually at about 2 o'clock or so - you have the cams in the right spot but I believe the crank is the problem child.

Bob

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a crank kit in my 02 . Installed timing chains just as OP described . Crank gear dot at 6 , idler gear dot at 12 & cam gears with V6 at 12 . Turned fine & runs fine . Are you sure the pistons are hitting the valves ? A rod cap installed backwards will cause problems . Did you use stock pistons ?

Latest posts

Members online