2003 Liberty w/ V6, Power steering hose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallanC

Reaction score
My sons 2003 Liberty w/the V6 has a leaking and noisy power steering pump. Its a big oily mess so I'm inclined to replace the high pressure hose along with the pump, as its not that much more work once we get things apart.

When I look up hoses on various sites (RockAuto etc), I see there are two flavors: with and without a "Switch Port".

IDK what a "switch port" is... never heard that term. So how do I know if I've got this port? What spot on the hose would the port be located for visual inspection? Am I just looking for a T and a sensor switch screwed in somewhere? Or does "switch" mean something else.

Thanks in advance!

-DallanC

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think that was only an 02 thing. Just look at the HP line and see if there's a electrical plug on it.

Phil2020

Reaction score
@DallanC

YES, YES, YES, Get the one with the SWITCH PORT for sure, YOU NEED THAT!!!

BUT, If you haven't bought one yet here is the part number that you need to STAY AVOID from on Rock Auto...

WARNING: DO NOT BUY THIS PS HOSE FROM ROCK AUTO, IT DOES NOT FIT CORRECTLY AND IS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!!

EDELMANN​
92109Power Steering Pressure Hose (4009.41.0000)

This is just a little tale of why NOT...
"I've just made an expensive mistake while installing an Edelmann high pressure PS hose in my 2005 KJ Limited.
The hose's ***** fitting at the steering gear end did not ***** in flush with the gear housing - there were about 3 threads still visible when the ***** had gone as far as I could physically turn it with the ratchet. I kept unscrewing and rescrewing it to check that I wasn't cross-threading and there was no evidence of thread damage at all.
So I think "OK, what the ****" and start the engine up, and there are no leaks. I take a short test-drive round the parking lot and let the engine idle for about 10 minutes - still no leaks. It's getting dark by now so I leave it for the day. But all night I'm worrying, because I'm sure the old leaking factory hose ******* in flush to the housing and it's a high-pressure hose after all...
So the next morning I get up and decide I'm going to try to get the new hose to ***** in flush. And by using all my strength I manage to make it turn v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-ly... until there's a "ping" and a hiss of escaping air and I've taken a chunk out of the steering gear housing. Whoopee, my steering rack is junk." (Thanks goes to AVR2)

Last edited:

Phil2020

Reaction score

@DallanC

Here is a little video that may help you and others avoid these problems in the future...Enjoy:)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Maxdestruction04

Reaction score
Only early model jeeps 2002-2004 that had select-track had that hose. Its meant to cut the 4 wheel drive in parking lots when it notices allot of steering wheel imput and low speed. Your select-track 4x4 setting will not work correctly without sensor in hose. Maybe 2005 as well but im not sure now, my supposed 2005 with 2004 computer and wiring from the factory has this hose but who knows if it actually belongs on a 2005. Anyway I swapped in a hose without this sensor and it disabled my select-trac 4 wheel drive and I could only run in full 4x4 untill I got a new hose with sensor.

Last edited:

Phil2020

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a slightly cheaper Power Steering Pump that's a little cheaper than a Mopar one but still similar in quality?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only early model jeeps 2002-2004 that had select-track had that hose. Its meant to cut the 4 wheel drive in parking lots when it notices allot of steering wheel imput and low speed. Your select-track 4x4 setting will not work correctly without sensor in hose. Maybe 2005 as well but im not sure now, my supposed 2005 with 2004 computer and wiring from the factory has this hose but who knows if it actually belongs on a 2005. Anyway I swapped in a hose without this sensor and it disabled my select-trac 4 wheel drive and I could only run in full 4x4 untill I got a new hose with sensor.

The sensor is not for the 4wd. The 4wd on the KJ's is strictly mechanical and is only operated by the 4wd handle.

The sensor will tell the PCM to raise the RPMS for low speed steering if the pressure drops too low (I think).

Last edited:

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensor is not for the 4wd. The 4wd on the KJ's is strictly mechanical and is only operated by the 4wd handle.

What Jeepster said.....

The sensor/switch has nothing to do with the 4WD. It's there to send a signal to the PCM when the wheel is turned to raise RPM to compensate for the load the pump puts on the engine.

Regarding the hose, just get one at Autozone with a lifetime warranty. Even something from ebay/amazon I'm sure will be fine.

Latest posts

Members online