2003 engine rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well as the title says I am rebuilding a motor for my 2003 jeep liberty limited. I thought about just getting a new motor or having a low miles one from a scrapyard put in but I decided to go this route so I could do it my way and know it was built right with quality parts. Also I weighed out the prices of each and in the end this just seemed like a better option for me to go. I am doing 99% of the work myself only having my machinist make sure everything is a tight tolerance and no slop in anything. so far all the tolerances are turning out better than it did from the factory and it should be a very clean tight motor.I have the block done and the crank machined and put in hoping to get pistons in this weekend. I used all king bearings and felpro seals and gaskets on everything. I got a set of reconditioned rods online after debating going forged but I just didn't want to spend that much for the rods. The new pistons are from I believe Keith Black and they look great compared to the old ones and are definitely an improved design. Still have some things planned as I go along in the build. Sorry if there are gaps in the pictures I don't like stopping every ten minutes to take pictures of every step haha. probably why I never do build threads :icon_lol: .

Attachments

• block5.jpg
    block5.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 31
  • block4.jpg
    block4.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 30
  • block3.jpg
    block3.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 28
  • block2.jpg
    block2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 31
  • block.jpg
    block.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 31

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pictures of the pistons.

Attachments

• rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 27
  • piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 27
  • piston2.jpg
    piston2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 26
  • piston3.jpg
    piston3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 28
  • timing chain.jpg
    timing chain.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 23

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good!

You don't need to take tons of pics - but make them a little bigger so we can really see what's going on ;)

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a difference in piston size. For my own education...does that affect anything? Does anything else have to be adjusted?