2003 Catalytic Converter Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Code 0420 - bad left catalytic converter - big problem. 2003 Liberty's made after February 26 2003 have a 6 month unique left catalytic converter for which there are no aftermarket replacements. The 2002 and 2003 up to Feb. 26 have left and right catalytic converters which bolt to a crossover pipe with a third converter that bolts to the muffler. The 2004 Liberty has an entirely different cat converter system. The 6 month left cat is continuous as part of the cross over pipe (no bolts) and third converter and is available only from the dealer at $1000 or on the internet for $855 plus shipping (about $900). I refuse to held up for these prices. I bought a 2002 crossover pipe with the third converter cut off from a salvage yard ($30). I bought a left catalytic converter for a 2002 from Walker ($180 but has a $50 rebate bringing the price to $130). The 2002 left cat and crossover pipe bolts up to the manifolds and fits fine. I carefully measured the distance from the muffler flange to the bracket that has the U shape support to get the third cat converter location and cut the third cat from the bad 6 month left cat/crossover pipe and used a 2 1/2" pipe connector to mount the third cat to the 2002 crossover pipe. Everything bolts up perfectly. Took some time but is a cost effective repair. Total cost with 2002 cat, crossover pipe, 2 1/2" connector & 2 pipe clamps - $170.

Last edited: