2002 Parts Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s been a long time coming. I am getting a new(er) kj. I have done alot of work to my current 02 but it hasnt ran since the summer. I figure i could keep throwing money in this or just move on. I dont want to take a total loss on the 02 so i plan on stripping as many parts off it that i can. I am looking at a few 2005-2007 liberties this weekend. I want to know does everything carry over(radiator, tires, lift, heavy duty cooling stuff, sensors, etc.) I will also be pulling the remand 45rfe that only got 3,000 miles on it. I know it wont transfer over but it will be up for sale if anyone is interested.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure on the specific sensors, but the lift/tires, HD cooling, radiator etc will transfer over fine.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks anything special to these model years i need to look for during the prepurchase inspection? Is there any reason not to buy a particular year?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from an 02 to an 05. I don't care for the fancy electronics in the 06-07. That is just my opinion. I'm sure some people would disagree.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2.

If I found a perfect 06 or 07, I'd still go for it, but I'd rather have an 05 in nice shape than a 06 or 07.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not a fan of over complicating a simple machine but i have been able to use the in-laws 2008 Dodge Nitro and it has the ESP and it really keeps the tires from spinning in the snow. It also stops you from doin donuts. I am not a fan of the tire pressure monitoring. Only ever seen it work in brand new vehicles. Do these years have the seat belt chimming thing?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm weird cuz I actually like the TPMS. Pretty sure mine has a seat belt chime but always wear it so never noticed. I do prefer the front end of the 02-04s like where the fogs are but I'm OK with mine. I do have a limited and it is still stock. It is my DD usually. Hoping to do some medium duty OME suspension work this summer. Not really lifting but just for the ride which is pretty much the same as the 02. Don't really notice much of a difference between the 02 and the 05 handling wise but I'd swear there is much more cabin engine noise in the 05.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm weird cuz I actually like the TPMS. Pretty sure mine has a seat belt chime but always wear it so never noticed. I do prefer the front end of the 02-04s like where the fogs are but I'm OK with mine. I do have a limited and it is still stock. It is my DD usually. Hoping to do some medium duty OME suspension work this summer. Not really lifting but just for the ride which is pretty much the same as the 02. Don't really notice much of a difference between the 02 and the 05 handling wise but I'd swear there is much more cabin engine noise in the 05.

Didn't 02s have an extra resonator on the air intake?

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 02 engine will not work in the 05 and up without swapping out reluctor rings on the crank and cam. The crank will need to removed to do this. The 05 and up use the 42rle. The transmission controller is in the PCM. (4plug). The 45 has its own separate controller. (PCM has 3 plugs)
Suspension wize they are the same. Body's panels from the front doors to the rear are the same. Different front fenders and front bumper.
Rear differential might be different is you have drum brakes verses the later 02s and up that had rear disk with a top hat style e-brake.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Any idea why the later jeeps all seem to get rust on the rocker and bottom of the door. I have looked at a few jeeps and i cant find a decent one.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the help per usual. I ended with another 2002 KJ Limited. This one is silver mostly stock with borla duel cat back exhaust. I paid $3500 all in. Has the cloth interior no sunroof plastic body color brush guard and only 98k miles. The interior has a few tough spots burn spots on the interior door panels but its pretty clean. Body has no rust but has a few scratches in the paint crack in the front bumper and undercarriage is clean. Has the command track and seems to be operating very nice. About an hour after i finalized the purchase and got my plates and city sticker taken care of i started swapping stuff over first was the radio which was plug and play really easy then the tires. While doing the tires i started cleaning and painting undercarrige and misc wheel well stuff and noticed the upper ball joints are shot worse than i seen during my prebuy inspection. I remember someone saying that part of a recall for 02 kj’s there is lifetime ball joint replacement is that true? Gonna start a new thread for my build/swapping progress. For now here are the pics we’ve all been waiting for.

You must be registered for see images
[/url]
[/IMG]

Last edited:

LibOhToo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Any idea why the later jeeps all seem to get rust on the rocker and bottom of the door. I have looked at a few jeeps and i cant find a decent one.

Road Salt.

A good defense...
Wide splash guards, especially front,
Underbody carwash frequently in winter,
In the Fall time, coat those rust prone areas with "Fluid Film", also the trailer hitch, bottom inside door and jams, and don't forget back door and tire attach points.
Treat underbody rust areas ASAP with a rust inhibitor paint such as "Rust Bullet"

Latest posts

Members online